(In Production) White Plains, NY Ladder 32

14 posts in this topic

County: Westchester

City/Town/Municipality/Dept: White Plains Fire Department

Unit Designation/Identifier: Ladder 32

Chassis & Body (or Aerial) Manufacturer & Model: American Lafrance

Pump size, Tank size (water/foam) Aerial type & length: 100+ Foot Aerial Ladder

Estimated Delivery Date: Mid July 2012

Notes: Will replace current Ladder 32, current Ladder 32 will go to Ladder 34 replacing a 1994 Ford/Smeal 75' foot quint.

sfrd18 likes this

Is White Plains really getting a American Lafrance?

What were the bids?

What were the bids?

Don't they already have one or two? If i recall correctly the last time I was in the area i saw a ladder or engine that was an American Lafrance, they probably like them..

Don't they already have one or two? If i recall correctly the last time I was in the area i saw a ladder or engine that was an American Lafrance, they probably like them..

White Plains FD currently run 2 ALF's as frontline Truck Co.'s: Ladder 32, a 2007 American LaFrance/LTI 100' RMA(Delivered in 2009) out of HQ and Tower Ladder 6, a 2001 American LaFrance/Smeal 85' RM Tower Ladder out of Station 2 just north of Downtown.

The WPFD currently run 5 Engines, 3 Trucks, and 1 Rescue as their frontline fleet. Their frontline and spare Engines are currently Freightliners and Fords cabs with Pierce, Smeal, and ALF bodies. Their Rescue, Rescue 88 is a 2004 Pierce Saber HD Rescue. They also run a Ford/Smeal 105' RMA as their spare Ladder, and an International Medium-Duty Rescue as their Squad, or 2nd piece to Rescue 88, and a Ford/Department Shops Rescue was their Squad Support Unit, in addition to their Squad. Both units are cross-staffed when needed.

The rig that is being replaced by the current Ladder 32 is Ladder 34, a '95 Ford/Smeal 1500/500 75' Quint out of the North Street Fire Station with Engine 71. The current Ladder 32's ALF will go to Ladder 34, and the new Ladder 32 will go to HQ with Engine 70, Rescue 88, and the Duty Chief.

What were the bids?

I would assume that their next rig will not be an American LaFrance, seeing as how they are, as far as I know, going out of(or are currently out of) business. Plus, it's getting harder and harder to find parts for current ALF's.

ALF is actually back in the manufacturing game. They hit a rocky patch for a while, but are indeed making rigs again.

ALF is actually back in the manufacturing game. They hit a rocky patch for a while, but are indeed making rigs again.

While that may be true, you can not get parts from them. We have had to make replacement outrigger jack cylinders, door handles and dashboard/engine cover parts.

We have had parts on back order for over 9 months.

I wish WPFD good luck, even if ALF stays in the game, its going to be a long hard ride.

TheNewLadder32 and sfrd18 like this

Barry,

I herd NRFD went with a Spartan ERV aerial? Can you confirm? From what I understand Spartan took over the old LTI facility in PA and have all of their old employees now working for Spartan. it appears the product is a LTI with some new innovations built into the design.

Update New Ladder 32 is coming begin to mid August it is delayed a little as I said before.

Man I miss the late 70's WP fleet, those Maxims were awesome. I went to Stepinac in the late 70's and I remember how cool that Maxim fleet looked. I also remember our fire drills, God forbid you opened your mouth during one of those. Back then we had a senior lounge in the basement where there was this nasty couch. You could smoke down there and of course that couch went up on day. I remember Engine 70 backing up to the basement window and pulling a booster line from the rear of the rig. We got our butts handed to us that afternoon. Sorry if that was off topic.

sfrd18, PCFD ENG58, x635 and 2 others like this

Talked to the chief about the new ladder way behind schedule parts were delayed and delivery is delayed in advance says truck wont be here till November. Also told me about the future trucks that will be bought in the next 3 years.

sfrd18 likes this

Can you elaborate on the rigs he said would be replaced in the next 3 years? (i.e. What companies will be getting the new rigs?)

Can you elaborate on the rigs he said would be replaced in the next 3 years? (i.e. What companies will be getting the new rigs?)

All I know is Tower Ladder 6 in 2015 and I think 65 & 67 will be getting replaced in 2014 as he said two new engines just before the Tower Ladder.

sfrd18 and EmsFirePolice like this