Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
DWC295

New NYPD Counter Terror Helo

11 posts in this topic

Very nice. At first I thought it was going to be an article about the other unmarked counter terrorism helicopter that has been in use for a couple of years. This may have been a scheduled replacement of an older bird, with added capabilities due to terrorism. Not sure if there has been an increase in the number of helicopters being operated. I know one was lost a couple of years ago after it crashed just off the Aviation base at Floyd Bennett Field.

Edited by grumpyff

Very cool! I hope it serves the NYPD and locals very well.

I noticed in the video when they are doing a walk through of a hangar, that there is a blue NYPD plane...or at least it appeared to be a plane next to two helicopters. What is this used for? Anyone have any pictures of it?

Very nice. At first I thought it was going to be an article about the other unmarked counter terrorism helicopter that has been in use for a couple of years. This may have been a scheduled replacement of an older bird, with added capabilities due to terrorism. Not sure if there has been an increase in the number of helicopters being operated. I know one was lost a couple of years ago after it crashed just off the Aviation base at Floyd Bennett Field.

NYPD continues to operate seven helicopters, four Agusta 119 patrol aircraft and three Bell 412 air-sea rescue helicopters (two marked, one unmarked). This one is the scheduled replacement for the one that had the combining gearbox failure and emergency landing in Jamaica Bay a couple of years ago. I believe there is another 412 replacement in the works and they are researching the scheduled replacement of the Agusta 119's too.

This is a similar 412 to the ones they already operate just with more robust radiation detection equipment aboard.

May they get many safe and uneventful hours of flight out of it!

Very cool! I hope it serves the NYPD and locals very well.

I noticed in the video when they are doing a walk through of a hangar, that there is a blue NYPD plane...or at least it appeared to be a plane next to two helicopters. What is this used for? Anyone have any pictures of it?

Nope, not an airplane. That was the tailboom of the other 412.

PFDRes47cue and grumpyff like this

Nice. Is that a dump truck behind the fuel truck in the background at about 2:51?

Nice. Is that a dump truck behind the fuel truck in the background at about 2:51?

Looks like it... Also looks to have a plow mount.

post-17100-0-20099800-1341074223.png

Edited by firedude

First truck is an NYPD fuel truck, the second looks like a NYC Sanitation dump truck , which would have a plow mount on it.. Lots of stuff out at Floyd Bennett.

Nice looking chopper. Good luck to NYPD with it.