Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
towerladder2

FDNY DISPATCHER EXAM

19 posts in this topic

FDNY DISPATCHER EXAM has been posted on the NYC DCAS website. The opening filing date is October 3, 2012... Test date not announced as of yet.... Good luck to all..

Edited by towerladder2
sfrd18 likes this

Would you be able to post the link to the exam schedules

Edited by BHFD702

Do you still have to be a NYC resident in order to get the job? Do you have to maintain NYC resident status to keep the job?

Do you still have to be a NYC resident in order to get the job? Do you have to maintain NYC resident status to keep the job?

??? the answer to Part 2 is Yes there is aspecific Residency for dispatchers that isnt exactly the same as for firefighters as Far as Part one is concerned.... I doubt anyone Can speak for the actual City as to how they might discriminate, as an OUT of Stater who took the last FAD test I can tell you I Placed well in the top 100 but didnt get called (Haha) kinda glad

When I left the city they passed the residency bill to with current employee's with over 2 years can move outside the city, however you had to pay the 1127 tax. However for new employee's that get hired off the street you need to get city residency with 90 days of hire. (IE you get hired and have to move to the city),

Good luck

Chris

Edited by FDNYDCHI

Residency is the 5 boros, westchester, rockland, dutchess, putnam, and orange counties... You do not need to live in the city....

I thought Dutchess wasn't included, I could be wrong. I was always told a two County rule and Dutchess is three.

Thomas

As far as I know, Dutchess is no bueno, but I don't have the residency stuff in front of me. Kinda funny since I live in OC now, and it's further for me to get to work than it is some points in southern Dutchess.

If its the same as FDNY/NYPD then Dutchess is no good. Suffolk Westchester Orange Rockland Nassau Putnam and the 5 boroughs

What is the starting salary and subsequent steps now? When I took the test way back when, it was fairly low. Also you had to live in the boroughs back then. I think everything was changed shortly after I was offered the job.

(*)

What's the pay and work schedule like?

When I applied they were on a 25 day rotation - 2 Days / 2 Nights / 4 Off / 2 Days / 2 Nights / 4 off / 2 Days /2 Nights / 5 off if I remember correctly (work days were 7a to 7p for days and 7p to 7a for night). Not sure if they changed the schedule with all the changes that happened.

When you first get on, it's 4 weeks of training. Then onto the platform for a few months of 1100X2300, working the same chart as the rest of us. 4 on, 4off, 4 on, 4 off, 4 on, 5 off. Then you go back for radio and Voice Alarm Training, then back out to 11X23, then Decision Dispatcher Training, then back to 11X23 until the brass says you can go to 07X19/19X07. I will tell you all now, be prepared for a commute to Downtown Brooklyn. Manhattan, Brooklyn, and SI are all located in the same building. You may or may not get the Bronx or Queens out of Probie School.

I wish you all the best of luck. But I warn you all now. If you get on, do not expect to be treated differently because you are a Volunteer whatever. Do not go into my job thinking you're going to be better than anyone else because you have experience in the fire service. I came in with that "I am a buff" attitude, and I paid for it dearly.

Do not expect special treatment because you know someone on the job. I would rather take someone who knows nothing about the fire service, or very little about the fire service, because I can mold you into what the job wants you to be. You will pay your dues, and it will make you a better dispatcher, and hopefully a better person.

efdcapt115, BHFD702 and x129K like this

Very wise words from JBE.... Anyone looking to take the test, heed his advice... I am starting my second year... It can be a GREAT job... You have to put in the effort, but will be rewarded with a job that has alot of great benefits....

efdcapt115 likes this

Very wise words from JBE.... Anyone looking to take the test, heed his advice... I am starting my second year... It can be a GREAT job... You have to put in the effort, but will be rewarded with a job that has alot of great benefits....

i'm curious yo know what is the age limit if so what is it

whats the pay chart.?Not sure if it would be worth leaving a westchester dispatching job

No age limit.... The pay chart.... You start at something like 17.38 per hour... With overtime I made 40 my first year.. First step is small.. Maybe to 17.80 pet hour.. Third step is a 2 dollar step.. Fourth and fifth.. not sure... Top pay at fifth year.. Probably not worth leaving Westchester County...

If you have any more than 2 or 3 years up in Westchester, I wouldn't recommend leaving. Might not be worth the pay cut.