Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Anesti

Washington D.C.

41 posts in this topic

LA Co does not use 5in hose. I'm sure someone back in DC could help with this but.. i beleive they run 3in on standard engine co.

I think he meant is DC's Heavy Rescue used in the same manner as HR-103 and LAFD's HR-56.

So they're like hosewagons, or Pipelines, like Philly has.

Yes, I would say they're like hosewagons. Pipelines in Philly are just regular engines that carry extra LDH, I believe.

Im not sure what Battilions they are in but Eng 3 has WSU 52, Eng 11 WSU 54, Eng 12 WSU 51, Eng 16 WSU 56, Eng 19 WSU 53, and Eng 21 WSU 55

3-52.

sfrd18 likes this

Very Special Thanks to the firefighters for their hospitality First up Rescue Squad 2 a 2011 Pierce

Thanks Anesti for posting these DCFD photos. I always liked that DC area for the fire dept and surrounding depts. But its been awhile since I was there.

I recently visited the Fairfax County Fire Dept which borders DC. I didn't get many photos, but thats a busy place too.

And thanks for the information on the Water Suppl Units. I wasn't aware of them.

Edited by nfd2004
sfrd18 likes this

I visited DCFDEMS and thier museum at "Columbia" Engine 3 last summer. They run 33 engines (sequential numbers), 16 trucks (numbered 2 through 17), three rescue squads, a hazmat unit with 2 hazmat suppoirt units, a air unit, brush fire unit, 2 fireboats, 2 foam units, 2 tacs, a command rig, the heavy crane wrecker, a canteen and a rehab unit as their "front line" fire apparatus. EMS has 39 ambulances.

Engine 52 is a hose wagon and carries thier five inch hose. If I remember correctly its about 2000 feet carried. It is station at "Columbia" Engine 3 which is across the street from the "Billy Goat" (great little bar) and not far from the Capitol Building. Now there are six "water supply hose wagons" with one assigned to each of the six battalions. They were manned by the engine company where they are housed in but they can be picked up by another company if the assigned engine company is out on another call. They are the standard DCFD engines just with five inch hose on them. There was talk of fully staffing them 24 / 7 after some pretty significant incidents over the years or at least runing them as a two-piece engine company to all alarms in thier districts. Here are the locations;

Battalion 1 - Engine 12 has WS Engine 51

Battalion 2 - Enigne 3 has WS Engine 52

Battalion 3 - Enigne 19 has WS Engine 53

Battalion 4 - Engine 11 has WS Engine 54

Battalion 5 - Engine 21 has WS Engine 55

Battalion 6 - Engine 16 has WS Engine 56

(Notice the last number of the WSE co-insides with the Battalion number)

DCFD/EMS was traditionally a two-piece engine company (the engine and the hose wagon) due to the lay out of the city. Many of the residential and commercial structures have rear alleyways between the blocks. So when responding, the Engine Comapny hose wagon would lay into the ally way with the engine taking the hydrant while the next due engine and hose wagon would take the front of the building. This was done because of access problems. Though they do not have the traditional two-piece engine companies of yesteryear, they still operate this way by sending an engine into the alleyway and an engine to the front. I think the alleyway engine also has a engine at the hydrant to feed it.

I though I had posted some pictures from my visit to "Columbia" Engine 3 and the fire museumb here on the forum but the thread may be archived. I have to search for it again.

Also the reason I call Engine 3 "Columbia" is because the company traces its roots back to the original "Columbia Engine Company No. 3" of the old volunteer days. this comapny was in charge of protecting the Captiol area. Engine 3 is one of three original fire comanies in DC that have transitioned from the volunteer force into the current career force. The fourth was Truck 1 which was housed at Engine 3 until it was disbanded during the 1980s / 1990s. Also there is talk of erecting a new firehouse for Columbia Engine 3 and giving thier current firehouse over to the fire museum which currently occupies the third floor of the building.

DCFD/EMS website:http://www.dcfd.com/stations.php

IAFF Local 36 Website: http://www.iaff36.org

Friendship Fire Association website (museum): http://www.friendshipfire.org/

I'll have to check a second source, but in Philly a "Pipeline" Engine must have

• 1500 gpm pump
  • Minimum 500 gallon water tank (that's PFD standard,..)
  • Minimum 15' 5" soft suction
  • Minimum 1500' 5" supply line (Most PFD pumpers have 3" supply they dump to deluge guns or other pumpers)

I'll have to check a second source, but in Philly a "Pipeline" Engine must have

• 1500 gpm pump
  • Minimum 500 gallon water tank (that's PFD standard,..)
  • Minimum 15' 5" soft suction
  • Minimum 1500' 5" supply line (Most PFD pumpers have 3" supply they dump to deluge guns or other pumpers)
Correct. A pipeline is a engine comapny with 5 inch hose on it. If it ran with only 3 inch, then it would be classified as and "Engine" insetad of a "Pipeline". One of my co-worker's father was a Philly firefighters for over 25 years, I checked with him.
EdAngiolillo likes this

Correct. A pipeline is a engine comapny with 5 inch hose on it. If it ran with only 3 inch, then it would be classified as and "Engine" insetad of a "Pipeline". One of my co-worker's father was a Philly firefighters for over 25 years, I checked with him.

Thanks!

I think 52 is a spare as well. The Spare Tiller is Ex-Truck 2 or 6. I got pictures of that last year.

Engines 51, 52, 53, 54 ,55, and 56 are "Water Supply" Engines, specifically sent on all working fires and additional alarms for Water Supply......Engines 71 thru ??? are the Spare Engines

x4093k likes this