Disaster_Guy

Help with frequencies

14 posts in this topic

Hi all,

I've decided to reorganize my scanner's bank of frequencies because it has become too cluttered and I can no longer find what I am looking for. I am basically going to delete most of what is there and start over.

I have heard that the listed frequencies on RadioReference are not that accurate, so I am coming to you guys and asking for your assistance.

When you click on the following link, you will be led to an editable chart of locations that I would like the frequencies for: https://docs.google....1PDi9otFzo/edit

Please type in the frequencies that you know for certain as well as any details that are not included in the initial chart setup (i.e. if its a paging or operations frequency only, etc.) Let me know if you have any questions.

Happy buffing!!

Edited by Larchmont_Boy
sfrd18 likes this

Hi all,

I've decided to reorganize my scanner's bank of frequencies because it has become too cluttered and I can no longer find what I am looking for. I am basically going to delete most of what is there and start over.

I have heard that the listed frequencies on RadioReference are not that accurate, so I am coming to you guys and asking for your assistance.

When you click on the following link, you will be led to an editable chart of locations that I would like the frequencies for: https://docs.google....1PDi9otFzo/edit

Please type in the frequencies that you know for certain as well as any details that are not included in the initial chart setup (i.e. if its a paging or operations frequency only, etc.) Let me know if you have any questions.

Happy buffing!!

In my experience there is no reason for you do doubt the accuracy of RadioReference. I am not aware of any major issues with their database. Also, if it still exists there was a simple database of frequencies on EMTBRAVO that would probably give you all the info you are looking for.

In my experience there is no reason for you do doubt the accuracy of RadioReference. I am not aware of any major issues with their database. Also, if it still exists there was a simple database of frequencies on EMTBRAVO that would probably give you all the info you are looking for.

I agree with Billy. I am a big time buff, and have had no problem with radioreference. I often double check with other sources to be sure I get what i want, but for the most part, radioreference is a reliable source for me. Nonetheless I have inputed frequencies for firegrounds 1-8 on the google doc.

Let me know if seek more frequency help.

Hi all,

Happy buffing!!

There are a few previous posts that deal with this. Here is a link to one that lists several different frequencies as well as sites and PDFs that will give frequencies to program:

I know that there is another one that I believe was pinned, I just can't seem to find it...if anyone else has something to add please feel free.

Larchmont_Boy,

Below is a list of all FDNY Dispatch Frequencies -

Manhattan - 154.250

Brooklyn - 154.370

Bronx/Staten Island - 154.190

Queens - 154.400

Citywide - 154.430

And a few for Westchester County -

New Rochelle -

New Rochelle PD Dispatch - 155.130

Mt. Vernon -

Mt. Vernon FD Dispatch - 154.145

Mt. Vernon PD Dispatch - 460.275

Yonkers -

Yonkers FD Dispatch - 46.50

Yonkers PD Dispatch - 453.475

Peekskill -

Peekskill FD Dispatch - 453.875(Repeats 46.26)

Peekskill PD Dispatch - 460.100

Peekskill EMS Dispatch - 153.575

Greenburgh -

Greenburgh PD - 460.525

Greenburgh Civil Defense - 45.96

Yorktown -

Yorktown FD Dispatch - 453.56250(Repeats 46.26)

Yorktown PD Dispatch - 154.785

Yorktown EMS Dispatch - 476.725

Mt. Kisco -

Mt. Kisco PD/EMS Dispatch - 154.650

I also agree that the database at RadioReference is the place to look. Chauffeur6, the NYS database administrator, is also a member here (different screen name), and has recently finished "cleaning up" the NYS database @ RR.com. So, you should have no problem with the Westchester database.

I am seeing some issues with your list.

First, I do not see that you have the Trunked System assigned. If you do not set this System up, with it's frequencies AND custom settings, in two separate banks (one for the North Zone frequencies AND another bank with the South Zone frequencies) you will not be able to track (listen) to Fire 15 & 18, EMS 15 & 18.

Second, it would be helpful if you listed what scanner you have so that we can know the capabilities of it. Newer scanners have different features than older scanners. Older scanners (like one of mine) do not have the capabilitiy of PL/DPL tones per frequency. Newer scanners also have the capability of custom labels per frequency/talkgroup.

It would also be helpful to let us know what you would like to listen to (Fire, EMS, PD(local, County, State), DPW, Hospital). Do you only listen locally, or do you listen around the County (if you have a portable)? If portable, do you want to listen to CT, or other locations (Nassau & Suffolk)? With this input we can help you with your reprogamming.

res6cue, firedude and sfrd18 like this

First, thank all of you so much for your help! Whether its PMs, replies, or filling in the info, all is greatly appreciated!

Since I'm not so familiar with the Trunked system, could you add the appropriate sections to the list?

This is my scanner: http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3704415

I want to mainly listen to fire, including monitoring dispatch to hear about working fires or once I have heard about them to be able to monitor them. However, once the fire is going on I want to listen to all the agencies who are on scene. I also want to have the information/capability to listen to large non-fire incidents when they happen every so often.

I'm sticking to mainly Westchester and Greenwich. There are exceptions, but I'll take care of those on my own.

FYI... that scanner is not a trunking scanner so you would not be able to pick up trunking systems. Also, RR is very acurate and is always being updated. If you need to confrim a freq, check the FCC License Databaseand search by Name(s) and/or location. If you want to learn about the county trunking system, check out the training power points on the 60 Control web site.

Edited by firedude

You can make do with the scanner you have even though it isnt a "trunking scanner"

You Will hear what you need to hear

Its a great scanner used the same one for 5 years never had a problem

I hate to bring you bad news but your scanner, the RS Pro 99 will not track trunked radio systems, you can only listen to conventional analog communications.

This, http://wiki.radioreference.com/index.php/Radio_Shack_Scanners, is a link to Radio Shack scanners, this http://wiki.radioreference.com/index.php/Uniden_Scanners, is a link to Uniden scanners, and this http://wiki.radioreference.com/index.php/GRE_Radios is a link to GRE scanners. All three brands will track the Westchester County Fire/EMS (analog) UHF Trunked Radio System.

You need to purchase a scanner (with trunktracking capability) to track a Motorola (analog) type II SmartZone Trunked System.

If you are looking to listen to Greenwich, my understanding is that they are now on an 800MHz digital trunked system. Scanners capable of tracking digital trunked systems are significantly more expensive than the analog trunked system Westchester County has. Hope this helps, and sorry for the bad news.

You can make do with the scanner you have even though it isnt a "trunking scanner"

You Will hear what you need to hear

Its a great scanner used the same one for 5 years never had a problem

The drawback is that you have to listen to the BeeLine buses, the Hospitals, in addition to what you want to listen to. Listening to the buses can get boring pretty quickly, without a way of turning them off. Just my opinion.

firedude likes this

The drawback is that you have to listen to the BeeLine buses, the Hospitals, in addition to what you want to listen to. Listening to the buses can get boring pretty quickly, without a way of turning them off. Just my opinion.

ok, i have one step up from that and it is trunked and i still hear the buses....

If you have software such as the ARC software for programming your scanner, you can turn off Bee Line and whatever else you dont want to listen to that is trunked. I use the ARC software for all 3 of my scanners and only listen to the trunked agencies that I want without a problem.

sfrd18 likes this

I also agree that the database at RadioReference is the place to look. Chauffeur6, the NYS database administrator, is also a member here (different screen name), and has recently finished "cleaning up" the NYS database @ RR.com. So, you should have no problem with the Westchester database.

Thanks for the kind words, Steve! :)

I do my best to keep NYS accurate and up-to-date on RadioReference, but obviously the database is never going to be totally perfect over there.

If any of you have any additions, changes or corrections for Westchester (or anywhere else for that matter), you can make a submission right to RadioReference (click the Submit link like I've circled in red in the attached screenshot). Or if you'd rather not make an account over there, send me a PM here and I'll work with you.

post-4155-0-27302300-1344069506.jpg

firedude likes this