x635

Local Municipalities Billed For Poaching New NYPD Officers

18 posts in this topic

Interesting.

Full article: http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2012/08/16/local-municipalities-billed-for-poaching-new-nypd-officers/

Local Municipalities Billed For Poaching New NYPD Officers

NEW YORK (CBSNewYork) – There’s apparently high demand for New York’s Finest, outside city limits.

New York City has sent bills of around $50,000 to Rockland County’s Clarkstown Police Department, the Pelham Fire Department in Westchester County, and to the New York State Police for poaching recent police academy graduates, according to the Daily News.

http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2012/08/16/local-municipalities-billed-for-poaching-new-nypd-officers/

Must be a newer law on the books..............We graduated over 1,200 from my NYPD Academy class in Oct. 2000, and I know for a fact that alot of us have left the job and gone on to other departments. In my FDNY Probie class there were 150 of us, I believe 70 of us were former cops.......Now THAT'S a number that the NYPD should have worried about......... :rolleyes:

I know our state (Maine) passed a law allowing this practice on some sort of sliding scale to keep candidates from using some places as stepping/training stones. Many smaller and volunteer agencies pay for personnel to become paramedics only to have them leave for bigger/better career positions. Given the amount of money we pay to put an employee through a medic program we'd likely pay to poach too.

When we've paid for an employee to take a paramedic program, we paid for the class, the books, their scheduled work time at straight pay, their unscheduled class/clinical time at overtime and pay to cover their shifts if they fall below minimum manning. Thus far only one of the last four left for "greener" pastures (Fire Chief's position). Needless to say, this is not cheap and is no longer done. We currently have one employee in a paramedic program, through a "special" deal between the Union, the employee and the department. We cover his duty shifts as "school time" and upon completion pay the tuition. He makes no OT(for class) and must pass with a 3.0 to get the tuition reimbursement. We also backfill staffing as needed on the house.

Edited by antiquefirelt

Bloomberg solved leaving the NYPD for FD, with the 25,000 contract, you loose your seniority. I could see billing if a recent graduate left for another PD, but leaving for a Fire Department I am not so sure. If I was with Pelham, Id tell the mayor go scratch. The NYPD training is nothing special, and would love to know where they came up with that amount, $50,000.

helicopper likes this

Agree with grumpy the academy only costs about 3,000 dollars per cadet.. And didn't Gov. Pataki pass the law where you can't leave the city and be hired as a cop unless you're on a civil service list? If that's the case it's not the town or villages fault that candidate came up for hiring right after academy

Agree with grumpy the academy only costs about 3,000 dollars per cadet.. And didn't Gov. Pataki pass the law where you can't leave the city and be hired as a cop unless you're on a civil service list? If that's the case it's not the town or villages fault that candidate came up for hiring right after academy

Do they pay the cadets while their in the academy?

Valid point but only half a year that still doesnt equate to 50,000

Can you cite where the $3,000 figure comes from?

Do they pay the cadets while their in the academy?

NYPD recruits are paid during the academy, and receive health benefits. After graduating, the receive a small pay increase. It is now 5 and 1/2 years to top pay.

Can you cite where the $3,000 figure comes from?

While I have no actual knowledge I'd think hat $3000 for a 6 month academy (going on what's posted above) would be cheap? If you looked at how much it costs to keep a recruit academy running and divided that by the number of cadets, one would anticipate the cost to be far more than $3000. Is that figure one used to tuition outside dept's recruits in?

While I have no actual knowledge I'd think hat $3000 for a 6 month academy (going on what's posted above) would be cheap? If you looked at how much it costs to keep a recruit academy running and divided that by the number of cadets, one would anticipate the cost to be far more than $3000. Is that figure one used to tuition outside dept's recruits in?

Yes, I completely agree. That's what prompted me to ask for the source of that $3,000 figure. I suspect the cost, per student, is in the tens of thousands of dollars, in addition to their salary.

First off, with it being relatively known that Commissioner Ray Ray hangs his own people at the drop of a hat in order to protect his own political aspirations, can anyone blame rank and file cops for leaving the city in order to have a better working environment?

Secondly, unless there's a "non-compete" clause in the cops' contracts, then it's none of the city's business where a cop goes once he or she separates from city service. All of this can be solved by not telling the pd where the soon-to-be former officer is going once they leave. Plain and simple, the city is not entitled to that information, as it's the person's personal business.

What's the salary and cost of benefits for a recruit while in the academy? I bet that's where they get part of the number.

I agree that for the FD it is pretty hard to say that the NYPD trained him. But, if they're not fighting it...

It's probably a very crude figure derived by dividing the budget by the number of recruits. It doesn't mean that the actual cost is really only $3000 per recruit.

Shame on the mayor. Pay your employees what they deserve and maybe you wont have the turnover. Although they recieved good contracts in the past 10year years they should get more. Such a smart man couldnt see this coming when employees in mcdonalds were making more and hiring standards were lowered.

SageVigiles likes this

Shame on the mayor. Pay your employees what they deserve and maybe you wont have the turnover. Although they recieved good contracts in the past 10year years they should get more. Such a smart man couldnt see this coming when employees in mcdonalds were making more and hiring standards were lowered.

The problems with employee retention go well beyond the issue of yearly salary, as a NYPD Police Officer at top pay who does a little bit of overtime is easily right at, if not over the $100,000 mark. Understandably in this day and age $100,000 is a middle class salary in the NY metro area, and often still requires a two-income household to raise a family, but the issues that plague employee retention is not so much the salary after the last few contracts, but a host of other issues.

grumpyff and 911FIRE like this