Disaster_Guy

Indian Point Nuclear Plant Awards $250,000 to Local Responders

6 posts in this topic

http://www.safesecur...responders.html

Entergy Awards $250,000 in Funds to Local Responders

Company Has Awarded $1.25 Million Since Program’s Inception

Entergy today announced grant awards totaling $252,400 to 18 local organizations as part of Indian Point’s Safety Responders Fund grant program.

Entergy has awarded $1.25 million to local fire, police, emergency medical response and other emergency management organizations since the program’s inception in 2009.

“Our community first responders and emergency personnel are dedicated professionals and often risk their own safety to keep others safe,” said John Ventosa, site vice president and Entergy’s top official at the Indian Point Energy Center. “Entergy is appreciative of the work done by professionals and volunteers in our communities and proud to be able to make these considerable investments that help fund worthwhile programs and initiatives.”

Below are organizations that received funding in the latest round of awards.

• Orange County Division of Emergency Management
  • Town of Highlands Ambulance Corps
  • Village of Highland Falls Police Department
  • North Highlands Fire District
  • Putnam County
  • Village of Cold Spring Police Department
  • Rockland County Fire Instructors Association
  • Rockland County Sewer District No. 1
  • 2-1-1 Hudson Valley Region/Westchester-Putnam
  • Buchanan Engine Company No. 1
  • Cortlandt Regional Paramedics
  • Friends of Muscoot Farm
  • City of Peekskill Office of Emergency Management
  • Phelps Memorial Hospital
  • Somers Youth Sports Organization
  • Town of Somers
  • Westchester ARC Foundation
  • Westchester County Police

The grant program is designed to help fund training and equipment purchases for first responders in the vicinity of Indian Point Energy Center.

Indian Point Energy Center’s online address is

www.safesecurevital.com

Twitter: @Indian_Point

Facebook: Facebook.com/IndianPointEnergy

I understand that this grant program is meant "help fund training and equipment purchase for first responders in the vicinity of the Indian Point Energy Center", but why does some of the grant money get allocated to programs such as Somers Youth Sports Organization or the Friends of Muscoot Farm? I am not quite sure how kids playing soccer in Somers or Weschester County's Muscoot Farm fall into the "first responders in the vicinity of Indian Point Energy Center". Wouldn't this grant money be better spent by giving it only to responders?

Something tells me its more politics and positive publicity them giving it to local groups like that. Obviously the whole amount would be better given to local emergency agencies whether fire/ems/police or local governments; but one wonders how and where politics get involved.

Correct me if I am wrong but isn't Verplank FD/EMS first due to Indian Point? Did they not apply for the grant money?

Deja Vu all over again, I'm 99% certain we discussed this last year. I think that topic was more geared towards the question of whether these departments are spending the money on radiological/HAZMAT related expenses or if they are just going to general operations. I mean, Entergy is a private company and they can do whatever they please with their money, but it would be nice to see that money come with a stipulation that it go specifically towards equipment and training that would have practical use for a response to Indian Point, especially since all the Homeland Security money towards HAZMAT/CBRNE training and equipment is starting to dry up.

JM15 likes this