Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
spin_the_wheel

Lancaster County Pa. merger of 4 fire companies.

4 posts in this topic

Imagine, combining companies to provide more effective service at a reduced cost and selling surplus equipment. That's crazy talk !

I don't know what our town would do without 16 engines, 5 rescues, 3 trucks and at least 10 chiefs.

This merger actually occured about a year and a half ago. I usually go on vacation every year to Lancaster County, PA(Pennsylvania Dutch Country), and I was talking to a paid Lancaster City FF about the merger a year ago last April.

The four fire companies merged are the Highville, Millersville, West Lancaster, and the Goodwill Fire Co. of the Washington Boro(County Fire Co.'s 6-2, 6-5, 6-8, and 7-8 respectively). These communities are located just West of the city of Lancaster.

A similar merger took place in the County last year as well. However, the 3 fire companies involved were not disbanded, but brought under an unbrella fire rescue service, known as the Manheim Township Fire Rescue Department. The 3 fire companies involved were the Eden, Neffsville, and Southern Manheim Twp. Fire Companies(County Fire Co.'s 2-4, 2-7, and 2-11 respectively). All 3 fire companies still operate as semi-independent volunteer fire companies, only under 1 parent department. One signature of the new fire service is that each fire company has a Manheim Township Fire Rescue designated engine, painted blue and white, as well as their own apparatus, including a "Rescue-Tiller".

http://mtfr.net/