Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
grumpyff

NYPD vintage RMPS (Department Owned)

18 posts in this topic

While returning to my stationhouse the other day, I saw these vintage NYPD RMPS. they are stored at a department facility, and used for retirement walk out ceremonies, and other occasions. In the front is a 1989 Chevy Caprice (marked Transit Police with correct lightbar), a mid 80' Diplomat in blue and white, a 1995 Chevy Caprice wagon (marked Highway 2), a 1962 Plymouth in green, black and white, and finally a 1960's Chevy also in green, black and white. I am going to try and see if I can get individual photos of each RMP in the near future.

post-917-0-69476000-1348267951.jpg

Westfield12, x635, hfdr19 and 7 others like this

The green/black/white Plymouth is a '68 Fury.

The blue/white Diplomat is probably a Plymouth Gran Fury, the NYPD did not use the Dodge Diplomat as marked RMP's.

Edited by 10512
JetPhoto and grumpyff like this

The two Green/White/Black rmp's have what appear to be regular NYS plates on them.

Are you sure these are department owned?

Love that late '80's Gran Fury!!!!!! Back when "Crack is Whack"..................

Thanks for the info! Not totally sure on the green, black and whites, but I cant see privately owned vehicles stored here. Stranger things have happened.

The green/black/white Plymouth is a '68 Fury.

The blue/white Diplomat is probably a Plymouth Gran Fury, the NYPD did not use the Dodge Diplomat as marked RMP's.

I agree with you that NYPD used the Gran Furys, but this looks like a Diplomat - look at the top of the grille. 5 letters looks like Dodge to me. The Gran Fury had "Plymouth". Perhaps a movie prop or some other mockup?

I looked around online, and found the NYPD did take a small order if Diplomats in 1988. Most went to Highway, and had Federal streethawk lightbars. It is possible.

I looked around online, and found the NYPD did take a small order if Diplomats in 1988. Most went to Highway, and had Federal streethawk lightbars. It is possible.

That may be true, but the RMP in the picture has no riser lights, and the RMP # looks like it is 2518 (possibly 2519), Highway RMP's are numbered in 2800-2999 series, so I doubt this was a Highway RMP.

I agree with you Bronxfireradio, it does look like "Dodge" atop the grill.

Edited by 10512
Dusie likes this

That may be true, but the RMP in the picture has no riser lights, and the RMP # looks like it is 2518 (possibly 2519), Highway RMP's are numbered in 2800-2999 series, so I doubt this was a Highway RMP.

I agree with you Bronxfireradio, it does look like "Dodge" atop the grill.

Is it possible that it was restored to LOOK like an NYPD RMP, and maybe that's why everything isn't time period correct?

billy98988 and JetPhoto like this

I agree with you that NYPD used the Gran Furys, but this looks like a Diplomat - look at the top of the grille. 5 letters looks like Dodge to me. The Gran Fury had "Plymouth". Perhaps a movie prop or some other mockup?

Edit: I tried to zoom in on the image but it's too pixelated to fully make it out but it does look like Dodge to me as well. Based on the photos I was able to find of a 1987 Plymouth Gran Fury, it's more than likely a Dodge. There was a different grill between the 2 makes too.

I found these images on flickriver. http://www.flickrive...ry/interesting/

Note: The images were not taken by me, they were taken by a few different people:

Here's a link that has both vehicles from the same year to be able to better figure this out. http://policecarwebs...d/nypd1980.html

Edited by peterose313

Speaking of the lightbar on the Diplomat, I have never seen NYPD RMPs in the 80s with red lenses on the outside corners. It was two red flashers in front on the inside adjacent to the siren grille, and two amber flashers on the rear inside. Outside lenses were clear, with white and red rotators. They were operated by two separate switches - flashing lights and rotating lights. Not to nitpick or anything : )

Back to the picture though - awesome cars and I would love to know more about them! Thanks!

The 80's Dodge Diplomat's typically had the dark grill where the Grand Fury had the light/silver grille's.

I had one of each, they were good cars. I loved when I punched it and the stock 4 barrel carb would open up and howl

Edit: I tried to zoom in on the image but it's too pixelated to fully make it out but it does look like Dodge to me as well. Based on the photos I was able to find of a 1987 Plymouth Gran Fury, it's more than likely a Dodge. There was a different grill between the 2 makes too.

I found these images on flickriver. http://www.flickrive...ry/interesting/

Note: The images were not taken by me, they were taken by a few different people:

Here's a link that has both vehicles from the same year to be able to better figure this out. http://policecarwebs...d/nypd1980.html

These RMPs look more like the ones I remembered in the 80's- Dented. I don’t remember ever seeing a RMP without a few dents. Gave them character.

The Furys/Gran Furys went through numerous changes in size and body style from the early 70s through the mid 80s. My old hometown ran them nearly exclusively during this period. A few however arrived as closely related models like the Chrysler Newport and Dodge Monaco which had minor differences in trim and appearance. My stepfather also once had an 80s era "civilian" Dodge Diplomat.

Phil

RMP means Radio Motor Patrol in other words patrol car