Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
firedude

The New "Sustainable Playland"

6 posts in this topic

The current playland has the County Police, Park Rangers and EMTs on-site, will it remain like this for the new "Sustainable Playland"? Or is security being privatized too?

For those who aren't familiar, BIG changes are coming to Rye Playland.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=LD6fwY3rOw4

Sustainable Playland: http://sustainableplayland.org/

Wall Street Journal Article: http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748703858404576214953804031810.html

Edited by firedude
x4093k likes this

Playland loses money every year and is the only county owned amusement park in the country and Westchester is also the highest taxed county in the nation. I say the county sells playland even if at a loss, at least it would be a one time loss not an annual loss.

Playland loses money every year and is the only county owned amusement park in the country and Westchester is also the highest taxed county in the nation. I say the county sells playland even if at a loss, at least it would be a one time loss not an annual loss.

Exactly.

Westfield12 likes this

Playland loses money every year and is the only county owned amusement park in the country

Every county owned park, road, golf course, building, jail, etc. loses money. Funny that the biggest money making rides at playland were sold to private vendors. Maybe if we actually owned the profit making rides it would not be losing money.

and Westchester is also the highest taxed county in the nation.

Yes, but not because of playland. NY is one of only 3 states that requires counties to pay medicid and thats along with some other mandates make up 80% of the county tax. We are also overtaxed because only a few other counties in America have as much duplication of local government as Westchester. How many police chiefs, fire chiefs, school superentendants, village managers and there cars and all the other apparatus and "stuff" we are paying for that sits there for years because we do not need it?

Playand is a county park, and although it is an amusement park, it's not that different then other parks in the nation that feature many amenities.

I think the key word here is "sustainability". I'd hate to see the Dragon Coaster sold...and Playland tore down for million-dollar housing. I think this is a great plan for a place that has great potential. I've always thought the Playland property was under-utilized. It will be nice to see some resturants there, and for it to become more of a modern, year 'round destination.

Westfield12 likes this