Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
grumpyff

Officer involved in off duty shooting promoted

11 posts in this topic

Officer Ivan Marcano of the NYPD's Transit District 12 was promoted to Detective this morning in a bedside promotion ceremony with Mayor Bloomberg and Police Commissioner Ray Kelly. PO Marcano was off duty when he observed 3 males robbing a man on street an took action. Officer Marcano was shot once in the chest, but was still able to pursue the perpetrators, firing his weapon weak handed, while his strong hand was applying pressure to his wounds. I work in the same command with Ivan, he is resting comfortably in the hospital, and is expected to make a complete recovery. He should be released from the hospital shortly. Watching the video and hearing him talk about the action first hand is incredible. You can see in the video how he reverted to the training we have received to take cover, change positions if needed, and never give up the fight even if injured. Great Job Ivan, I am sure the Firearms and Tactics Section will use your story and video to help train future officers.

http://www.nypost.co...OCVBYo4jCeHOtvI

surveillance video of the shooting

EmtBravo incident alert: http://www.emtbravo....er-shot-102412/

Edited by grumpyff

All I can say is God Bless Police Officers like Ivan Marcano. Guns+punks=terror on the streets. Great job Detective Marcano. God Bless you for risking your life when you could've responded much differently. You really are a hero.

I only hope the Bronx prosecutors will put the two perps away for a long time.

Good to know Officer Marcano is recovering and out of the hospital. That hospital bed didn't look very comfortable. :D

x4093k and SageVigiles like this

Congratulations on a well deserved promotion ! PO Marcano has brought great honor to himself, his family, the NYPD and all of Law Enforcement.

In my opinion, this case shouldn't even go to a grand jury, the powers that be should do their investigation and call it a clean shoot and thats the end of it.

Id like to buy this guy a few steak dinners, or lobster, his choice! Although if I was a new employee, i would really think twice about doing any of this. The new tier leaves your spouse with only 3 years of LODD benefits and if you are forced to retire only 44% of your pay. Thanks Gov Patterson and Cuomo!

Congratulations and good luck, Detective! A story about a true hero that makes us all proud and demonstrates what the thin blue line is REALLY all about! I hope you wind up in a great assignment when your recovery is complete!

I'm just happy this promotion wasn't made posthumously.

grumpyff and BFD1054 like this

I think this is great ! Congratulations and hope he gets well soon.