Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
peterose313

In shadow of JFK Airport, Queens volunteer fire dept. receives donated firetruck after losing all in Sandy

15 posts in this topic

The West Hamilton Volunteer Fire Department, located near John F. Kennedy International Airport in Queens, New York,lost everything: two pumper trucks, two ambulances, and a brush truck.

The Hooversville Volunteer Fire Company, located outside of Pittsburgh, wondered what they could do to help after the storm devastated much of the New York City area. They found out about the West Hamilton department's loss and decided to donate a 1981 Mack pumper truck they'd been trying unsuccessfully to sell.

http://jalopnik.com/5957814/this-fire-department-donated-a-truck-to-firefighters-in-queens-that-lost-everything

EmsFirePolice, sfrd18 and grumpyff like this

All the vollie departments took a Hit down in Queens. Broad Channel lost bot ambulances due to the flooding and the Hahn pumper they got from Malverne during a fire in their district (as i was told). Breezy Point I think was okay but Far Rockaway lost a couple rigs I think too. I think FDNY also lost a few rigs during the storm too or had to abandon them.

A Message from the Dept who donated the rig:

The Hooversville Volunteer Fire Company has donated a 1981 Mack CF-600 Pumper to a volunteer fire department in Queens, N.Y., that lost all of its vehicles when Hurricane Sandy slammed ashore.

The West Hamilton Beach Volunteer Fire Department near John F. Kennedy International Airport lost two ambulances, two pumper trucks and a brush truck in the storm, Hooversville president Richard Lohr said.

"Let's face it, it's total devastation what they're dealing with," he said.

The Hooversville department has been trying to sell a pumper truck for more than a year. Mr. Lohr said the department had hoped to get $25,000 for its 1981 Mack pumper with a 500-gallon tank and pumping capacity of 1,000 gallons per minute as well as 1,800 of 4-inch hose, a portable generator, lights and a portable pump capable of handling another 250 gallons per minute.

"Collectors wanted to buy it but of course collectors don't want to pay what you think it's worth," Mr. Lohr said. "And money for us doesn't compare to what they've lost in New York."

He said he contacted the Pennsylvania fire commissioner's office to offer help after he saw what Sandy did. When a 1996 flood swept all of Hooversville's protective gear out its doors, help from other departments meant everything, Mr. Lohr said.

The Fire Truck was driven back to New York by 2 members of the West Hamilton Beach VFD on Saturday evening, November 3, 2012. They arrived safely back at their fire station with Engine at 6 AM on Sunday morning.

Along with the donated fire truck, the Hooversville Community Club donated $500 to the West Hamilton Beach VFD, as well as as $281 from the Hooversville Community, all of which were present to the West Hamilton Beach VFD crew before leaving the Hooversville Fire Station.

Also from www.station614.com

Edited by x4093k

guys lets not forget about Broad Channel, they still need a lot of help. they lost everything and need our help. they are a great bunch of guys down there and do everything for there community. any tools,gear,saws,hurst tool, rigs..... they need it all. they also need a ton of ambulance supplies. if you have stuff and need to get it down there please PM me i am good friends with the chiefs from both depts.

PLEASE HELP BROAD CHANNEL AND WEST HAMILTON BEACH !!!! we have to help our brothers in need.

sfrd18, WCFCX613 and RJB896 like this

thank you to some of the guys who have stepped up and sent me a email. there is still so much more our brothers and sisters need. i have once again spoken to the chiefs of the depts. they have added items to the list of things they really need.

hand lights with charger

pagers( motorola minitor 4)

more ambulance gear and of course a ambulance lol

a chiefs car

gear

scott packs

tic

hurts tool equip

there is a long list and there is always more to add. just think of it this way, if you had to build a firehouse and get all the tools for 2 busses and a engine what would you need.

i know so many of these items are expensive but if there is a old piece of equip laying around maybe it could become there frontline.

thank you

x4093k likes this

I didn't realize there were so many volunteer departments in NYC.

I didn't realize there were so many volunteer departments in NYC.

I believe there are nine separate volunteer companies withing the city. Most in Staten Island and Queens.

I believe there are nine separate volunteer companies withing the city. Most in Staten Island and Queens.

Correct there are nine active volunteer units in NYC. Edgewater Park VFD is in the Bronx, Richmond Engine Co. and Oceanic H. & L. Co are in Staten Island, Broad Channel VFD, West Hamilton Beach VFD, Point Breeze VFD, Rockaway Beach VFD and Roxbury VFD are in Queens and Gerritsen Beach VFD is in brooklyn. There are no VFDs in Manhattan.

Do these companies operate independent of FDNY? Do they work with FDNY? Where do they train? I remember years ago when I taught at the county training center a couple of Avation guys in my basic ff class.

Some additional questions: are they solely responsible for their districts or do they buff FDNY calls like the volunteer EMS agencies?

Anyone have contact info for the Chief of the Roxbury VFD in Queens. I think they last most of their equipment too

The only two companies I know of that have a formal relationship with FDNY are Richmond Engine 1 and Oceanic, both on Staten Island. Both companies can be found on the SI radio and I include on the box alarms for their areas.