Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
helicopper

Sandy Still a Nightmare (and will continue to be)

9 posts in this topic

Just to our south and east, one of the biggest challenges to emergency management and disaster recovery is unfolding. Tens of thousands of people have been left homeless by Sandy and their entire communities are devastated. This isn't just a matter of replacing basement carpet and some sheet rock. Entire neighborhoods in NY and NJ have been wiped out. The infrastructure in some of these communities was also destroyed and must be completely rebuilt, from the underground up.

The first issue is where to put all these people, especially now that the temperatures are dropping and winter is around the corner. They can't continue to live as squatters in the debris field that was once their neighborhood. Without electricity, heat, water, sanitation, this will soon become a public health problem as well.

How will communities that were barely able to sustain their municipal budgets afford to rebuild EVERYTHING?

Did we really learn anything from Katrina or will we have to repeat all the mistakes that were made in response to that storm again?

Who will bear the expense of rebuilding and who will make the decision about whether or not it is appropriate to make an investment like that on a barrier island that could be hit again next hurricane season?

Just as Katrina was for the gulf coast and NOLA, Sandy will continue to be a crisis for sometime to come.

ex-commish, x635 and Bnechis like this

This is going to be a long term problem. Just as with Katrina, people are not going to want to leave their properties and neighborhoods. As we saw before the storms even hit, people refused to evacuate. I ma not sure what the answer is. Obviously if the decision is made to not rebuild, these people will have no choice but to permanently relocate to other areas. The level of devastation in some of these communities is unimaginable.I think some creative thinking. Maybe relocate people even temporarily to housing that is currently sitting empty due to foreclosures, which will take massive amounts of paperwork to cut thru red tape for each property.

post-917-0-03429300-1352835139.jpg

post-917-0-82988100-1352835532.jpg

Edited by grumpyff
x635 and x4093k like this

Well, given the thread about the lack of original content here, I thought I would point out that there have been several threads (including this one) started recently that could result in discussion but nobody has risen to the occasion except as above.

It's all up to you...

x635 likes this

This is tough.This will take years and billions to repair. How do you plan for something like this. As far as housing people doesn't FEMA have plans in place for temporary housing such as trailers? Weren't they used in Katrina? Can the infra-structure be rebuilt? Is it worth the risk? I am sure those who live there may say yes but what will the insurance companies say? How about the Army Corps of Engineers? I have seen the emergency services in all capacities, other charitable groups and private citizens step up to the occasion but what about our federal government?

I believe that I read somewhere that FEMA has camps set up in NJ? Its a terrible situation. I have been down in LI for work for about the past two weeks and I really feel for the people down here many who lost everything.

FEMA's plan involved trailers, but in this area this is not enough room to set up temporary trailer parks. It seems that the current thinking, is to make existing structures 'habitable' even if it requires the use of tarps and other temporary measures. When all is said in done areas such as Breezy point which is built in a low laying area with no barrier between it an the ocean will look vastly different. Will the insurance companies and the governement pay out money to rebuild a community so vulnerable to another storm? Or will new codes requiring stilts or sea walls be made. Who will pay for such improvements? Or will the residents be urged to relocate to other more protected areas? Will they get a settlement and be told they are on their own (un insurable) from here on out?

x635 and helicopper like this

I believe that I read somewhere that FEMA has camps set up in NJ? Its a terrible situation. I have been down in LI for work for about the past two weeks and I really feel for the people down here many who lost everything.

I think there may a 'semi permanent' office handling all Sandy related affairs in Newark.

I have been down there both before and after, my wife is from the Breezy/Roxbury area and there are several issues in rebuilding. Most of the area has been grandfathered in because they do not meet current building codes. If they tare down completely they cannot rebuild by the rules. Temporay housing can be set in Floyd Bennett Field which is by Roxbury. Many of the homes have either been destroyed, burned down, or washed away. Where do you start. 3/4 of the homes have damage. Then take Long Beach. 100% lost power and much still is not back. With flooding, putting the wires underground is not an option.

helicopper likes this