chiefofd41

Roof Replacement at Westchester DES

5 posts in this topic

The Westchester County Department of Emergency Services need to have its roof replaced. It has been in disrepair for years, there has been injuries due to slip and fall on wet floors and equipment and gear getting wet from the leaky roof. Tonight the Westchester County Board of Legislators has the replacement of the roof on their agenda. A bond Act was presented to the Board thirteen months ago to fund the replacement and the Board refused to act. It is now said that the BOL want to obtain the funds from the DES operating budget. Operating funds are for training and staff, not capital projects. I'm sure after hurricane Sandy the DES operating budget is stretched to its max. With Bond interest rates at its lowest, it would be appropriate to bond the replacement and its my belief the only way to fund it. I would like to ask my colleagues to contact the Board of Legislators TODAY by email and urge them to BOND this badly need project. This is what I wrote and emailed to them.

Dear County Legislator,

I am writing in regards to a very serious problem that exists at the Westchester County Department of Emergency Services Facilities. The roof at the facility has been in dire need of replacement for over a year. The First Responders, both career and volunteer firefighters and EMS personnel, utilized the facility for training throughout the year and deserve to be in a safe enviroment, free from the hazards of a leaky roof. Health concerns from mold growth, dampness and musty odors are a primary concern for not only the First Responders, but for the dedicated County employees who work in those conditions on a regular basis. Allergies, Hypersensitivity Pneumonitis and Asthma can develop in individuals who are exposed to excessive dampness and mold.

It is my understanding that a Bond Act was presented to the Board of Legislators thirteen months ago to fund the replacement of the roof and was not acted upon. It is a fiduciary responsibility of our elected officials, The County Board of Legislators, to insure that county owned buildings, which are paid for through our county tax dollars, do not fall into disrepair and become a health and safety hazard.

I have learned that some members of the Board are seeking to fund the much needed repair in an inappropriate manner. Please act responsibly and adopt the Bond Act which will assure adequate funding.

In closing, on behalf of all the dedicated First Responders in Westchester County, I thank you for your time and attention to this urgent matter

Sincerely,

Thomas M. Reddy, CFEI

Chief of Department

Ossining Fire Department

firedude, ems-buff, JM15 and 2 others like this

That whole facility has exceeded it's useful life and is obsolete for it's current needs. The smartest thing to do would be to knock it down and building a new one, instead of patching seemingly never-ending problems.

Still, the roof is not something they should be dragging their feet on.

Does anyone know how they voted last night?

Astorino Criticizes Democrats for Delay on Emergency Services' Roof

Calling it illegal, inappropriate and another unnecessary delay to putting a new roof on the Department of Emergency Services' Training Center, County Executive Robert P. Astorino today vetoed legislation supported by a majority of Democrats on the Board of Legislators.

http://www3.westchestergov.com/news/all-press-releases/4407-astorino-criticizes-democrats-for-delay-on-emergency-services-roof

Looks like they will be fixing the roof.

http://polhudson.lohudblogs.com/2013/01/08/bonding-approved-for-westchester-emergency-services-facility-roof/

It seems like they

And I stand by my view that the current building is obsolete, and Westchester County is wasting money on numerous renovations over the years just to cram 10 pounds in a 1 pound sack. They should raze it, and build a modern, proper DES facility. At the very least, the 60 Control dispatchers need a modern, spacious communications center.

Remember585 and peterose313 like this

Looks like they will be fixing the roof.

http://polhudson.lohudblogs.com/2013/01/08/bonding-approved-for-westchester-emergency-services-facility-roof/

It seems like they

And I stand by my view that the current building is obsolete, and Westchester County is wasting money on numerous renovations over the years just to cram 10 pounds in a 1 pound sack. They should raze it, and build a modern, proper DES facility. At the very least, the 60 Control dispatchers need a modern, spacious communications center.

Amen!