Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
helicopper

2013 Westchester County Budget

10 posts in this topic

Despite assurances that public safety, emergency services, and other essential functions will not be affected by budget cuts, the County Police will lose 5 positions in the 2013 budget and DES will lose 19. I can't imagine that there are 19 open lines at DES so these cuts must have an impact on operations and real personnel.

Where are these cuts coming from and how will DES be able to maintain their operations and support disaster responses (like Sandy) with almost 1/3 fewer people????

While discussing the roof is nice, the roof won't answer 911 calls or conduct training or staff the EOC!

I should add that there are no changes to the County Executive's or the Board of Legislators staffs proposed in the budget. They remain as is.

dwcfireman, E106MKFD and BFD1054 like this

Time to move to duchess county.... They see more work there anyways lol :-P

Westchester County government is fooling themselves if they think they can operate with these levels... All it will take is for one person to die because of these changes and someone will sue...

E106MKFD likes this

It is such BS stop with the threats of lay offs or cutting posistions. Try starting at the top and working down. Example: Why does every department head need a take home car? Especially the ones who do not even live within the county. But they continue to threaten the people who have to work 24/7 no matter the weather use their own vehicles pay for their own gas to get back and forth to work but we will give someone who works 9-5 Monday - Friday a new car all the has they need and yeah will even pay for the repairs.

tighten that belt up Obama is in and its going to get worse. look at the towns lewisboro just about butchered there police department i heard there is only one car on the road now. The next four years are going to get tight i hate to say it.

PC_420 likes this

Whats sad is we (I was on a committee formed by the C.E.) found a number of cost savings that were available at both DES and DPS that did not reduce services. That report was given to the County Exec just before he was sworn in. I do not believe any of the recomendations were utilized. As an example DPS averages $20,000 more per patrol car that the average PD (radios, lights, radar, computer, video etc. included) because they do not use the county contracts (that the locals use), DPW does it and charges them the extra. We found a number of other and sometimes major costs that could be saved.

Chris, approx. how many new cars per year does DPS get? (I do not remember).

Edited by Bnechis
BFD1054 likes this

Whats sad is we (I was on a committee formed by the C.E.) found a number of cost savings that were available at both DES and DPS that did not reduce services. That report was given to the County Exec just before he was sworn in. I do not believe any of the recomendations were utilized. As an example DPS averages $20,000 more per patrol car that the average PD (radios, lights, radar, computer, video etc. included) because they do not use the county contracts (that the locals use), DPW does it and charges them the extra. We found a number of other and sometimes major costs that could be saved.

Chris, approx. how many new cars per year does DPS get? (I do not remember).

In the past few years they've gotten fewer and fewer vehicles which is another problem. They're operating an older fleet with higher and higher mileage for longer than ever before. The maintenance costs have to be rising and the likelihood that a vehicle will fail at an inopportune time is higher.

Then there's the issue of situations like Sandy where DPS has to put out more units than normal. Where do they get the extra patrol cars? The Hertz or Avis police counter?

And I've been told that DES will be forced to cut five administrative lines (that are occupied) in addition to the three dispatcher lines they gave up a couple of years ago. All the EMS and fire battalion coordinators are being changed from part-time employee to contractor which is what makes their numbers so high.

BFD1054 likes this

All the EMS and fire battalion coordinators are being changed from part-time employee to contractor which is what makes their numbers so high.

What happens to thier stipends?

What happens to thier stipends?

Well, I'm just guessing but I imagine that their stipend will be paid by contract instead of as a part-time employee. The issue I wonder about is if they're a contractor, how will they be covered by insurance, etc.?

Contractors are not usually covered by insurance, nor does their "employer" pay Social Security or other taxes. I know because that's the crappy situation I'm in now... haha.

I never understood all the take home cars either. Perhaps just tell these guys, use your own car, and if we call you in for something off duty, we will give you a $100 transportation stipend. Even givien the 2013 GlobeWarmers most of them (and us) drive, $100 covers a few miles.

But lets be truthful: It ain's cars busting the budget, it is slaries and benefits. FDNY now spends more to pay guys that have retired than are working. Little Pelham Village FD has a budget of over $2MILLION/year for retiree pay and benefits. With a 3-man/shift crew.

If you thought the STORM Sandy was a hit, wait until three years from now when guys who (100% rightfully) earned a lot of overtime pay start to retire with XXL pensions. They can't just plant a few extra money trees; the money comes from somewhere.

I certanly don't blame the FEDS (Obama) for this. They tax so little and give away so much they have a what, 17 TRILLION dollar debt from buying us stuff and charging it. ( I saw an article in the paper the other day about an FD program where the Chief said, "It was paid for by a federal grant, so no tax money was used). Two unfunded wars and a banking system on the edge of collapse didn't help either.

Barry has said ( in his usual spot-on way) this has been building for years. Most of us saw it, all of us ignored it.

If the politicians could lie their way out, they would. With the tax cap, options are limited, limited to one: cutting.

I am sure the folks who wrote that cap legislation are bewildered at how many municipalities are voting to brak it, though. Seems we all hate taxes, but not enough to end our love affair with spending.