x635

New FDNY Tillers

28 posts in this topic

These new Seagrave TDA's are scheduled to replace Ladder Co.'s 5, 6, 20, 34, 39, 40, 101, 104, 106, 118, and 143 over the next year or so. Ladder's 147 and 175 also might be included, but I'm not positive.

As far as I know, Ladder's 39 and 143 have their new tillers. For the time being, several of the companies mentioned above are running with spare rearmount sticks until the new TDA's arrive.

WCFCX613 likes this

L39 and 143 do not have new tillers, the shops rebuilt the tiller enclosures and added some diamond plate to prepare these rigs for future spare use. L-34 is the oldest front line tiller in service and will be receiving first new tiller which is on the way from seagrave, picture shown in forum was taken at seagrave.After L-34 is delivered the rest of the order will start arrivng as well as the rest of the tower ladders on order from seagrave.

Is this one of FDNY's first tillers?

No, FDNY has had hundreds of Tillers over the years, above are the newest ones about to be delivered or are delivered already.

Really L34 is oldest? L40 looks like its about to fall apart that's a1994 Seagrave. If true, 34 might be older but looks a lot better

40 truck is using a spare I believe it's 175s old rig 40s tiller caught on fire in qtrs over the summer at one point in time they were using my companies old seagraves rear mount

M' Ave likes this

Goon I know its a spare its just surprising to me the condition of the spare. But as long as it gets the job done for now.

There aren't many tillers in the spare pool. Many tiller companies had to resort to using rear mounts. Your post made it sound like you were referring to 40s as if it was there normal rig

Nice truck, but what's with the grille? It doesn't look like a Seagrave grille. The front kinda looks like a Simon-Duplex.

Edited by Westfield12

Nice truck, but what's with the grille? It doesn't look like a Seagrave grille. The front kinda looks like a Simon-Duplex.

The new batch of Seagrave Aerialscope Towers have the same grille.

Has the FDNY settled on this pod style light bar for all their new apparatus, or are they just evaluating them?

All the new towers and tillers have them. And the new haz mat and im not a 100% sure about the chief rigs but I think they are getting them also The ferreras have the federal signal aerodynic bars

Edited by goon16

Goon I know its a spare its just surprising to me the condition of the spare. But as long as it gets the job done for now.

When it comes to ladders, you won't find an aerial in the spare pool that isn't held together with ductape and has rust you can put your finger through. Most are in really sad shape.

On a side note......do we REALLY care what the grill looks like?

Edited by M' Ave

When it comes to ladders, you won't find an aerial in the spare pool that isn't held together with ductape and has rust you can put your finger through. Most are in really sad shape.

On a side note......do we REALLY care what the grill looks like?

Does anybody know what the back up horn sounds like on the new tillers ?
x4093k and M' Ave like this

I think it should have one of those spinning wheels with the lights in the grill...common what were they thinking not including that???

When my company was out at seagrave we were able to see 34 in the final assembly area as well as a mid mount 75' from what the rep said. They seem to be very nice rigs. The new lightbar is interesting and it looks pretty bright. Best of luck with the new rigs!

I think it should have one of those spinning wheels with the lights in the grill...common what were they thinking not including that???

That would be a Roto-Ray. You either lovem' or hatem'

8 of 19 responses refer to either the grill or lighting package....these are fun and stuff, no one who's seen the rigs cares to comment on designs as they apply to practical functionality?

Okay, I'd like to know how the crew area is laid out. Can anyone who's seen them first hand comment on how tool storage is handled on the backstep? Is it like the Seagrave TLs or like the Ferrara rear mounts with the tools stored in central compartments?

Anyone aware of the tip-load? Is it 250 or 500?

Are there any notable changes to the trailer portion compared to the last batch or tillers?

grumpyff and Bnechis like this

M'Ave, the light package is the most important part of the rig! Who cares where the tools are located and how they are mounted?!

I have one big question about this rig- what is the decal in between the officers door and the cab window? Is this new? How will this affect operations?

Newburgher and M' Ave like this

Not a big fan of the roto-ray, but a lot of departments here in Virginia use them and they are effective warning lights. The FDNY seems to like to change up the type of light bars used on their apparatus. I wonder if they are going to settle on this one for awhile. I guess we'll see what is on the new engines from KME. I understand the KME's will not be delivered until fall 2013, so the engine spare fleet will be rusted out and held together by duct tape also.

Not a big fan of the roto-ray, but a lot of departments here in Virginia use them and they are effective warning lights. The FDNY seems to like to change up the type of light bars used on their apparatus. I wonder if they are going to settle on this one for awhile. I guess we'll see what is on the new engines from KME. I understand the KME's will not be delivered until fall 2013, so the engine spare fleet will be rusted out and held together by duct tape also.

There is no such thing as an effective warning light. You could cover every inch of the apparatus with lights and people will still pull out in front of you, still not pull over and still try to drive around you when you're backing into the firehouse. What's effective? Keeping your eyes and ears open and being patient behind the wheel....and NOT RUSHING! As for FDNY changing lights, I assure you they simply buy the cheapest at the time. Next topic.....

I have also hear 2013 for the engines.....too bad the spare fleet AND our front line 2002 engines are already held together with duct tape.

Edited by M' Ave

So, when these Tillers get replaced, does FDNY keep them all as spares, or dispose of some of them?

Also, in these companies, who gets trained to be the tiller man? I assume it's a seperate course, or is it in house comapny training? Is there any raise in pay, or are they considered full chaffeurs?

Tillerman us usually trained in house. It's usually the ov who drives the tiller

M ave. before we got our ferrera we had a 94 seagrave as a spare for the interm one of the worst rigs I have ever ridden in had no glass on the windows where we rode backwards roof leaked. I hope the new cabs are like the ferreras lots more room to hold tools and such in the cabs. I would guess the tip load is 250 that's what the aerials are.

x635 likes this

So, when these Tillers get replaced, does FDNY keep them all as spares, or dispose of some of them?

Also, in these companies, who gets trained to be the tiller man? I assume it's a seperate course, or is it in house comapny training? Is there any raise in pay, or are they considered full chaffeurs?

If they were smart they would refurb some of them and put them in the spare pool because it is just about depleted of tillers

Tillerman us usually trained in house. It's usually the ov who drives the tiller

M ave. before we got our ferrera we had a 94 seagrave as a spare for the interm one of the worst rigs I have ever ridden in had no glass on the windows where we rode backwards roof leaked. I hope the new cabs are like the ferreras lots more room to hold tools and such in the cabs. I would guess the tip load is 250 that's what the aerials are.

I was detailed to a truck company a couple of weeks ago and they had one of those wonderful spares with the 4 rear facing seats and no window glass. It also had no hear and no working radio speaker in the rear.....real sweet ride. I enjoyed sitting in the middle with black vinyl in my face for 9 hours.

The backstep of the Ferraras is fantastic. Much better than the newer engine layout. I prefer the two seats facing each other and the the tool storage in the middle. Some of that was pretty well thought out....the rest of the rig, well there seem to be a lot of issues..

I thought the new rearmounts had a 500lb tip load, up from all of the previous trucks, no?

Lastly, you're certainly right about those tillers. They should keep a few around as quality spares. I know I saw 34 truck with a rearmount recently.

I was under the impression the tip load was 250 but I maybe wrong. The back step in the ferrera stayed with tradition instead of changing it like the engines and towers there is soo much more tool storage and places for other things in our rear mount than the tower ladders. It's rediculous that there is hardly and storage on the tower ladders no place for your bunker gear or helmets and barley any room for your tools

Edited by goon16