Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
38ff

NFPA 9G Rated Medical Glove Box Holder For Fire Apparatus Cabs: Do They Exist?

12 posts in this topic

All,

We would like to mount a medical glove box holder that holds one box of medical gloves in the cabs of our apparatus. I know every medical supply house carries what I need for $20-30 each, but those arent NFPA 9G rated. I have plenty of mounting space, both on the back wall of the cab and the doghouse cover so either a vertical or horizontal mount is fine. Does anyone know of a company that has a 9G rated glove box holder? Pac and Zico dont have what Im looking for.

Thanks!

x635 likes this

I don't know why a lightweight bracket that is used in ambulances isn't NFPA 9G rated or at least approved. Seems kind of ridiculous.

I'm looking through my photos to see if I have anything that may be of help to you.....

How about a hard case glove dispenser box (Moore Medical)and use a PAC Track rated bracket to hold it in place.

38ff and x635 like this

Good idea. But I still wonder why someone hasnt made a 9G rated glove box yet...

Maybe because no one is worryied about getting hit by a box of gloves :P

I still see firefighters without seatbelts, SCBA's in open brackets, helmets unsecured, tools and other equipment on the floor, etc.

JetPhoto and helicopper like this

Good idea. But I still wonder why someone hasnt made a 9G rated glove box yet...

Break out the welder and the wallet and DO WORK!

Ha ha he said he's looking for a 9g medical gloves holder!!! I needed that laugh

I don't mean to be offensive, but I find it an odd contradiction that you want a 9g holder for gloves but your profile picture shows a young child without any protection sitting on a pair of monitors.

Yes, that is my son, when we were testing out the pump on my own personally owned piece of apparatus. He wanted to take the "fireman picture" for Mommy. I had somone at the pump panel, he and I went over by the monitors, got him situated, I backed out and took the picture, and he got out, total exposure time of 30 seconds at the most, thats after they were running for 1 hour with no problems or movement, and they were staked down, even though you cant quite tell in this picture and pump pressure was just enough to get water out. Risk of problems was very very very low, and made lower by the exposure time. He was told not to touch anything, and he didnt.

The 9G holders are for my district, where A) the boxes currently are shoved in a compartment, where people need to "think about it" to get them, B) Im trying to do better than the $20 medical cart glove box holder for my apparatus, as with all the risk of lawsuits, Im trying to cover my district's rear end, as we spent a decent amount of money getting the right 9G certified mounts/tiedowns/mechanisms to keep equipment from flying around in the cab. Perhaps the biggest reason for mounting them in the cab with in easy reach is they are right there, no one can use the excuse "I forgot, or I couldnt find them" or

From my research, there must be alot of depts/districts that have a box loose in the cab, or they dont use gloves for EMS calls, as apparently none of the manufacturers currently produce one. If there are none of the propper rating as per the NFPA, I will have to explore the next best option of what IS out there.

I figure I'd ask on here as to what others are doing.

x129K and x635 like this

We use stainless steel glove boxes. They are not listed, but they apear to be strong enough to do the job. We went with them after the plastic ones would crack (particularly if a firefighter leaned on them). We got them from our EMS equipment supplier.

Of interesting note: the standard for the crash worthyness requires the components be tested and certified, but how do you know if the installation will hold up during the crash? Who says that those mounting them did a "proper" job?

x635 likes this