Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
x635

x635: "I'm going to Fort Lauderdale!"

23 posts in this topic

Hey all

I just planned a trip to Fort Lauderdale, Florida for next month. Of course, I am flying my favorite airline, Jetblue. And I am staying at the Seminole Hard Rock Hotel in Hollywood, FL which I hear is awesome. The point of this trip is for me to just de-stress, relax, and get away, although I hope to get some apparatus photos.

Anybody have any advice or suggestions, whether related to apparatus photos or just the general area? I already bought a Frommmers and read several websites, but it's always better to hear what friends have to say...

I've never been to Florida, either

Go to deerfield FD on federal highway and hillsbourgh. Nice fire house and a great bunch of guys.

Enjoy x635, you deserve it. And I get the feeling we will be seeing more ducks with these pictures....lol

Have you ever seen revenge of the nerds part 2, just dont get caught at the hotel coral essex!!!!

go to disney thats a lot of fun and they have plenty of ducks j/k lol

Hey all

I already bought a Frommmers 

What is that?

Ya gotta watch out down there. All that sun and a majority of the apparatus still hasn't rippened. Maybe you can take a tour of E-One in Ocala which is up the coast about 2 hours north if I remember correctly. Enjoy the trip!

On second thought I might have gotten my coasts wrong again. :oops: I'm thinking west coast when I should be thinking east coast. Check out Palm Beach County for some interesting rigs.

I don't know about everyone else, but I would be drinking!!!

I hope you don't go swiming with the fishes

FYI - Disney, along with the other theme parks (Universal Studios, Seaworld) are in Orlando, which is approx. 3 1/2 hours north of Ft. Lauderdale. It is a straight run on the FLA Turnpike.

In Ft. Lauderdale there is route A1A, which runs along the water. At Las Olas Blvd and A1A is the nite life.

If you drive inland on Las Olas Blvd you will run into a mall and some trendy restaurants.

Enjoy..............

I have never seen bigger ambulances that what they have in Florida.

Go to Pure Platinum, on Federal Highway. From what I hear, the girls there have better apparatus than any local firehouse.

I just moved from NYC/Millwood to the Orlando Metro area.

Disney/Epcot etc is 3.5 hours via car in good traffic.

The E-one plant in Ocala is going to be close to a 5 hour hop each way and aside from horseracing farms, and Big Daddy Don Garlit's Drag Racing Museum, there isn't anything up there.

True... Florida has huge ambulances... The entire state is almost 100% career (most ambulances are called Rescue's and they have extended commercial chassis with a combi tool on most and a small CAFS pump on some... Ambulances are staffed with FF/Medics and usually run nose to tail with an Engine on all calls..)

There are very few vollie departments in the entire state at this point even in ultra rural areas. Effecient air travel and the invention of household a/c brought too many people to the state too fast and the vollies couldn't keep up with what turned out to be a population explosion in the late 70's through the 80's. Most departments replaced vollies long ago.

Ft. Lauderdale isn't a far drive from Miami so if you've got time, it's a faster trip to Miami than to Orlando.

The Space Center is about 2 hours from Ft. Lauderdale give or take.

You are in luck! I go down there often.

Just so you know the Seminole's have their own fire department. Last time I was down there they were hiring for Paramedic/FFs. Ask around and I am sure you could check it out.

Also, Fort Lauderdale Station 46 has an Engine and a Medic Unit. It is on A1A right on the beach in Fort Lauderdale. I know they do a lot of shirt swapping if your interested. Plantation is outside of Fort Lauderdale. They have paid Medics and volunteer firefighters. They have 6 stations and the Medics are pretty much like all "buffs".

The Broward County Sheriffs are in charge of Broward County Fire Rescue. If you go to downtown Fort Lauderdale to the courthouse you have a good chance of spotting some of their spare rigs.

Broward County Fire Academy is in Davie near Nova Southeastern University. It is a good trip to take because it is right across the street from the Miami Dolphins training facility which is cool to see. (Sometimes they have practices which are open to the public)

If you are flying into the Fort Lauderdale International Airport, the Broward County Sheriffs run the crash house under their fire rescue division. You can see the bomb disposal units and the rescue trucks at the airport from the terminal.

Hope this helps. Have a great trip!

Broward County Sheriff's Fire Rescue Div.

http://www.sheriff.org/about_bso/dfres/

Broward County Sheriff's Fire Rescue Div Station:

Station 6 1901 Eller Drive Port Everglades

Station 10 250 Terminal Drive Ft. Lauderdale-Hollywood International Airport

Station 12 4501 Bougainvillea Drive Lauderdale-By-The-Sea/Sea Ranch Lakes

Station 14 791 NW 31st Avenue Ft. Lauderdale

Station 17/27 2610 SW 40th Avenue West Hollywood

Station 23 2200 SW 46th Avenue Ft. Lauderdale

Station 28 10550 Stirling Road Cooper City

Station 32 5301 SW 31st Avenue Ft. Lauderdale

Station 36 2001 South Ocean Boulevard Lauderdale-By-The-Sea

Station 37 3461 NW 43rd Avenue Lauderdale Lakes

Station 48 3800 SW 41st Avenue Pembroke Park

We all really need to get a life!!! Just let the Captain Morgan's flow and the rest will take care of itself!!!!

For hospitality down there go to any of the Palm County fire stations. A few years ago I was flying down every weekend when my mother was ill. Those guys put me up a few times, made sure I had food even at the nursing home they stopped by to check up on me. Got well taken care of by Palm Fire Rescue. That shows you brotherhood.

Ummm 635, I would suggest you meet up with a certain JD swilling, chain smoking, foul mouthed, mutual acquaintance of ours when you get down there. I'm sure he'd be glad to see you.

Definately go to Universal studios

cheekmedic, Captain Morgan is your commanding officer!!!

I don't drink...at all, ever and I've never been drunk. Just never been interested. I have NOTHING against it, just never have been myself and again have no interest in it. However, I'm at the point now where sipping a nice Pina Colada while floating down the lazy river at my hotel is sounding mighty nice right about now.

I've managed to get a "tour guide" for my trip...a freind from another board as JBE mention. Ex-FDNY, lol. I'm going to spend half day buffing, but the main purpose of this trip is to chill out and relax. Also, I don't really feel like driving too much, I HATE driving. Since most of my trips are "active" trips, this one is going to be lazy and nice.

Thanks to all for the advice.

I think x635 needs to get a little captain in him! God I can't imagine you drunk. :D

SETH,

AT THE INTERSECTION OF FEDERAL HWY AND HILLSBORO BLVD IS HQ. YOU CANT MISS IT REALLY BIG BLDG. YOU CAN ALSO PURCHASE T-SHIRTS FROM THEM. THEY ALSO HAVE A SUB STATION ON THE BEACH WHICH IS ALSO REALLY NICE ON A1A NEXT TO THE HOWARD JOHNSONS. IF YOU NEED SOME DIRECTIOINS AROUND THE AREA GIVE ME A CALL. I HAVE THE HOUSE IN DEERFIELD AS WELL AS MY PARENTS. STOP BY AND SAY HI. LOL. YOU MIGHT EVEN BE ABLE TO SET UP A RIDE ALONG WITH THEM. ALSO GOOD CHOICE OF HOTEL TO STAY IN. THE AREA ISNT THE BEST AT NIGHT TO BE WALKING AROUND BUT VERY NICE HOTEL. HAVE A GOOD TRIP.

I think x635 needs to get a little captain in him! God I can't imagine you drunk.  :D

I can picture it now - Seth with a Captain in one hand, a cigar in the other, getting a tan on the beach with the Ladies swarming around him.

Hes wirey now just imagine DRUNK. Look out florida here he comes!!!!