Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
SageVigiles

Register Reporter Straps On Gear, Trains with West Haven Firefighters

6 posts in this topic

Register Reporter Straps On Gear, Trains with West Haven Firefighters

Published Sunday, December 30, 2012

By Susan Misur, Register Staff

As soon as I put the oxygen mask on my face, I had to ask: What did I just get myself into?

There I was, my 5-foot-tall stature drowning in firefighter gear, with the kneepads of my pants bunched at my ankles, suspenders cinched to the max, a heavy jacket, some kind of white babushka on my head and now an oxygen mask.

I was getting fitted at the Benham Hill Fire Station for my “fire outfit” as I called it on a recent afternoon, just a few days before I was set to enter a burning building during firefighter training for an unusual reporting assignment.

All in all not a bad article, a few technical misunderstandings aside. I liked the idea of getting the reporter that covers our area in to get a taste of what we do. Anyone else do anything like this?

JetPhoto and Bnechis like this

Great article minus the technical symantics. Great press coverage laid out to readers in layman's terms. We offered this same opportunity to a team of reporters from a newspaper in Dutchess a few years ago when they were writing their series of articles concerning salaries, pensions, and benefits. Interestingly enough, they turned down the opportunity. The fact that a reporter is willing to step outside their comfort zone to get a real story speaks alot about their character. Good for you guys!

JetPhoto and effd3918 like this

“Did ya like it?” a few firefighters asked me while I took a break. “Ummm,” I stammered, wondering how I could answer honestly without offending them. “It was pretty bad. You couldn’t pay me enough to do this for a job.”

And people think it's easy

Bnechis, x129K and SageVigiles like this

And people think it's easy

A little perspective goes a long way, hopefully buys us some understanding. We'll see though. Interestingly enough, the Register's last Police/Fire reporter was just hired as the Bridgeport Police/Fire PIO

Edited by SageVigiles
JetPhoto likes this

It's a start. We can only try our best to educate people about what our jobs really are.

This is a good start!