Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
peterose313

(On Order) FDNY Pumpers

9 posts in this topic

City/Town/Municipality/Dept: FDNY
Unit designation/identifier: Engines
Chassis & Body (or Aerial) Manufacturer and model: KME Severe Service chassis with a stainless steel split tilt cab

Pump size, tank size (water/foam), aerial type & length: 2000gpm
Estimated delivery date: TBD
Notes: Contract was awarded to KME from a 2012 bid and runs through November 2015.

http://www.kovatch.com/News/13-01-11/KME_Receives_FDNY_Pumper_Order.aspx

Edited by peterose313
sfrd18 likes this

Don't think any of these are high pressure, unless something has changed. High pressure contract went to seagrave and should start to arrive next month.

If I remember correctly with the last specification order of new standard pumpers, they were all to have 2000 gpm pumps on them. I know it was stated in a past FAJ issue. I'll see if I can find what issue I read it in.

If I remember correctly with the last specification order of new standard pumpers, they were all to have 2000 gpm pumps on them. I know it was stated in a past FAJ issue. I'll see if I can find what issue I read it in.

We are in the process of converting the whole fleet to 2000gpm pumps, but not high pressure. The high pressure pumps have a third stage and as was stated, are being built by Seagrave.

sfrd18 likes this

Interesting that they changed to KME. I guess these are going to be "regular" engines, right?

It's not so much that we "changed" to anyone. Simple dollars, low bid wins and by all accounts KME was the low bid by a lot. Lucky us.......

I'd give KME a chance, and keep an open mind. They are used in numerous major cities from coast to coast, and have many repeat customers. The apparatus they produce are highly customized. They are not the same KME of several years ago, they've come a long way from what they were. Building for so many different customers coast to coast has given them a lot of engineering experience, and added to their research and development aresenal. It also allows them to have the capability and experience to accomodate such a large order.

Just because it's not a Seagrave doesn't mean that it's crap. Seagrave had their problems, in fact numerous problems, as well with the FDNY pproducts they produced. I think that it's a money-loser for Seagrave, and they want to be better off with smaller departments who want a high quality, legendary rig, or smaller contracts with unique rigs that are exclusive to them, like the Aerialscopes.

I hope these rigs, any rigs in fact, work well with the FDNY members and give them what they want and need to perform the jobs they do in some of the most brutal conditions for apparatus in the world.

sfrd18 and M' Ave like this

I agree completely that the builder really doesn't matter, but the Seagraves prior to 2006-07 were really nice and simple. The run like champs, pump like crazy and start every time. They're nice and compact, all business.

We'll see what this builder has in store for us....

sfrd18 likes this

M'Ave, I'm sure the FDNY apparatus guys and gals will keep an eye on the building process since KME is a new vendor for the city. Hopefully the quality will be there and they won't cause too many problems for the shops and the companies that operate them.

Boston is running a few KME pumpers now as well as a few other major MA cities. I know Boston released specifications for a KME aerial recently. But like any other manufacturer, either you'll love them or hate them.

Good luck with them and keep us up to date with the progress.