Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
peterose313

New DSLR Camera Box Arrives Full of Laminate Flooring, No Camera

10 posts in this topic

Most of us would agree that it is quite exciting when the UPS Truck pulls up with some new gear that we purchased especially when it’s a new camera body or lens. Like kids on Christmas morning we can’t wait to unbox the new toy and put it to test. Sadly one photographer opened the box not to find a new camera body but floor laminate. Read on to learn about his experience, see photos and find out which nationally known dealer did this not just once, but twice to him.

As a long time buyer and preferred member of Dell.com, Jalal of JZPhotography, was excited to learn that they would be willing to lower their price on a new Canon 5D Mark III to just about match the same prices he was finding online. He placed his order over the phone with Dell customer service and was shipped what he thought would be a new Canon 5D Mark III with the 24-105mm f4 IS lens. A huge upgrade from his current 30D camera and one that he was extremely excited about. Fortunately, Jaleel documented the unboxing and took pictures of his whole experience with his iPhone 5 which later turned into great evidence to show what he received instead of the new camera he expected.

New 5D Mark III Box Arrives Full Of Laminate Flooring, No Camera

Edited by peterose313
x635 likes this

Dell sucks. I also had a problem with them after they sent me a lemon computer. I made multiple calls to them, each one more futile. Every time I called, I had to start over from square one. Completly frusterated with Dell and no longer wanting to spend hours on the phone with them, I eventually had to get the computer repaired out of my own pocket to keep my sanity. Then I started having problems with my laptop. Again, same deal. I completly sympathize with this guy.

Given that I lived in the hometown of Dell, I know many of their employees hate them just as much. It's sad that Dell has such a grip on the computer market. And they know it and I feel that's why the average customer is not important to them. With discontent with Dell increasing, I see repeat customers going with another vendor and Dell losing marketshare.

I'm a happy Lenovo customer now. Never again will I buy anything from Dell.

peterose313 and Westfield12 like this

I am very skeptical with this story. First of all, if you are documenting an unboxing it usually is a Youtube video so you can share product info with others. I have never seen an unboxing documented with photos before. Whats the purpose? And, if you were to photo document an unboxing, why take pictures of you cutting open the shipping box. Sounds like an elaborate scheme to try to get a free camera from Dell. I don't believe any of this story.

x635, FF1 and Disaster_Guy like this

I am very skeptical with this story. First of all, if you are documenting an unboxing it usually is a Youtube video so you can share product info with others. I have never seen an unboxing documented with photos before. Whats the purpose? And, if you were to photo document an unboxing, why take pictures of you cutting open the shipping box. Sounds like an elaborate scheme to try to get a free camera from Dell. I don't believe any of this story.

You'd be surprised. A lot of people document unboxings via photos. It's not all that unusual. How is this person trying to plot an elaborate scheme to get a free camera when he had paid for it already? That doesn't make much sense.

Also, there is apparently going to be a follow up story coming. The original publisher posted in the comments section in reply to someone who was just as skeptical as you. It hasn't gone live yet due to the person still waiting on an official reply from Dell management. I'm going to keep monitoring the site and when the story does go up, I'll post the follow up in here. It will be up at F Stop Lounge.

Westfield12 and x635 like this

You'd be surprised. A lot of people document unboxings via photos. It's not all that unusual. How is this person trying to plot an elaborate scheme to get a free camera when he had paid for it already? That doesn't make much sense.

Also, there is apparently going to be a follow up story coming. The original publisher posted in the comments section in reply to someone who was just as skeptical as you. It hasn't gone live yet due to the person still waiting on an official reply from Dell management. I'm going to keep monitoring the site and when the story does go up, I'll post the follow up in here. It will be up at F Stop Lounge.

Maybe I'm wrong maybe not. How could he scheme a camera or two out of Dell? Delivery #1 was a camera and he replaced the camera with flooring tiles, notifies Dell and has another camera shipped. Delivery # 2 allegedly had wood in the box and not a camera and files another complaint with Dell. If this is the case, hypothetically, he now has 2 cameras in his possession and possibly a full refund from Dell. It could happen and if you think someone wouldn't try this I think you are mistaken. Just my opinion.

JetPhoto and x635 like this

I am very skeptical with this story.
I thought the same thing, and understand your doubts. So I did some research, and I am pretty sure I believe the story now. There have been similar cases where the delivery driver would do something like this. Plus, it's on a pretty credible website.

And this is exactly why people videotape it.

Westfield12 likes this

It could happen and if you think someone wouldn't try this I think you are mistaken. Just my opinion.

I don't disagree with you there, it's certainly a valid point you make. The author of the story was skeptical as well and did some digging and the more she digs the more this person's story checks out. The site refuses to issue a full refund. The most they're willing to give is a $100 coupon, which they claim is the largest they've ever given out.

Now that said, there's a reason why I posted this story in the "You can't make this stuff up" category. It just sounds too good to be true, lol

x635 likes this

I don't disagree with you there, it's certainly a valid point you make. The author of the story was skeptical as well and did some digging and the more she digs the more this person's story checks out. The site refuses to issue a full refund. The most they're willing to give is a $100 coupon, which they claim is the largest they've ever given out.

Now that said, there's a reason why I posted this story in the "You can't make this stuff up" category. It just sounds too good to be true, lol

OK, now that you and Seth provided additional details I am no longer skeptical. Never dawned on me the delivery driver might have done this. If thats the case, the buyer is really being treated poorly by Dell. Thanks for the insight guys.

x635 likes this

I routinely take photos of unboxing and opening archery items provided by my sponsors for posting on forums and blogs - it is pretty common.

Westfield12 likes this

Shown below are the two cameras boxes in question. Was this story really faked to gain a free camera or was this for real? Many of you may have made up your minds but for me based on my own extensive research I believe this story is true. Not so sure? Then please continue.

After communicating with Jalal again I thought it would be a good idea to ask some more questions to help explain this freak situation he found himself in and to clear up any rumours that may be flying around the net.

Updated Story