Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
x635

Tattoo Advice Needed

13 posts in this topic

I'm considering getting a small tattoo on my wrist.

I know that's not a comfortable spot to tattoo onto. Would it eventually wear off if I type and use a computer a lot?

Anyone have any idea how much that would cost?

And reccomendations for creative and great tattoo artists/shops? There seem to be a million of them nowadays.

My fiancé just got her wrists done and the artist just said for the first couple weeks nothing constricting around her wrists to let it heal and then she will be fine. Also keep in mind not to have the design go where the creases in the wrist are because you will risk having the ink blow out

x635 likes this

Cost varies with the shop and the design when it heels don't pick at it or scratch it

x635 likes this

Don't go into this without a tattoo that you truly want. Remember that this is basically going to be forever and being on your wrist both forever and visible forever. Sit down and carefully think is this something that 20 or 30 years from now I will still want visible on my wrist. Lastly, make sure you go to a clean and reputable location as there are a lot of "extras" you can get such as Hep from an unclean location.

x635 likes this

Seth, check out cult status tattoo in Montrose. They are great guys and have done my tattoos as well as several members from MFD. a small non detailed pice on the wrist would most likely be $50-$75. Pm me for more info

x635 likes this

Hey Seth,

I have researched this topic to exhaustion. I have a few pieces of ink and this would be my advice to you:

Yes, eventually it would fade a little due to the constant wear on that location but it wouldn't happen for a while (at least 10 years) and you can always get it retouched later on.

I have only dealt with one shop in the area--The Mighty Horseman in Tarrytown-- the owner and principal artist, Chuck, does outstanding work and is decently priced. For a piece of body art you really don't to skimp. Remember, get what you pay for... and for something that small or just text it wont be that bad anyway.

Hope this helps.

If you have any other questions PM me

x635 likes this

I have a sleeve on my right arm from my wrist to my shoulder. It will not fade due to computer work! What will cause it to fade is sunlight. So keep it protected with sun screen in the summer months. Ive had mine there for 7 years and it still looks as good as the day it was done. Believe it or not this area actually doesn't hurt all that much to get inked. But each persons tolerance to pain is different. If you want it you have to settle for some discomfort. The only other advice I can give you is to search, search, search a tattoo artist that does EXCEPTIONAL QUALITY WORK. DO NOT settle just because he is 50-100 bucks cheaper. It will be with you FOREVER and on your wrist alot of people will see it. I know Rhode Island is about a 3 hour drive but there is an absolute FANTASTIC artist. His name is Shane Baker and he works at Powerline Tattoo. You can do a google search. It would be well worth your time to drive a bit for QUALITY work.

x635, markmets415 and helicopper like this

Depending if you want to travel to the Poughkeepsie area, Jerry the owner and 20+ artist is amazing @ Planet NY, let me know if you need further, my picture here is on my back and done by Jerry.

x635 and x129K like this

Seth, you threw your hook in the water and in the process caught a lot of fish. I hope you take the time to carefully process all of the quality advice you have been given and make a careful and informed decision on a choice that will be with you for life. It will be a lot like a marriage. Easy to enter but costly if you decide you made the wrong choice.

Check out Big Joe's and Sons in Mohegan. I had mine done there by Cuda Vendetta. Awesome guy great work. He did my drawing three different times until it was exactly what I wanted. Some artist charge by the piece some by the hour. http://www.tattoojohnny.com this site as some cool designs that might help you.

Seth,

I have a pretty good amount of tattoos. (both arms half sleeved, both lower legs and my upper back.

1st, tattoos dont "wear out" from flexing that part of the body. Like SFRD said, just protect it with sun screen.

2nd, good work isn't cheap and cheap work isn't good. the normal rate for a good artist is 100-200 dollars an hour.

3rd, DO NOT walk in with a picture and say "i want this". The tattoo artist is an artist for a reason, they know what will look good and translate well as ink in your body. My best advice is to give the artist youre general ideas and themes and tell them to run wild and let their creativity take over. After all, they are the professionals.

I use Jason Eddington at Hard Knox Tattoo in Yonkers.

P.S. any tattooer that claims that they are good at every style is lying. Each has their niche and area of focus and expertise. You need to look at portfolios and see who specializes in the style you are interested in. (ex. Black and Grey or Traditional or Lettering or Japansese or Color Bomb.....ect)

x129K likes this

If everyone keeps suggesting $100 / hr artists, this year's operating costing are going to go up for the site. I also suggest you explore something on your lower back, I hear that is in style.

Bunkers and x129K like this

Thanks guys for everything.

My father had sleeves-he didn't really get them until he was older.....I remember he got one at the Orange County Fairgrounds Bike Rally, and the guy was from New Hampshire....wish I knew who it was. It's going to be on my wrist...does anyone have photos of celtic symbol wrist tattoos or finger tattoos.

If everyone keeps suggesting $100 / hr artists, this year's operating costing are going to go up for the site.

????????