Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
v85

Anti-negativity policy

5 posts in this topic

Can I get a "rule interpretation" from the moderators about the anti-negativity policy, specifically as it applies to younger members of the emergency services.

It seems like there are frequent negative comments about younger members in emergency services that are allowed and go unchecked, where as negative comments about other groups (i.e. racist, sexist, homophobic, career vs. volunteer) get clamped down on.

And no, I'm not advocating for anything ridiculous (like letting 18 year olds with licenses the ink is still wet on drive 10 ton pieces of apparatus) but a little respect would be nice

And no, I'm not advocating for anything ridiculous (like letting 18 year olds with licenses the ink is still wet on drive 10 ton pieces of apparatus) but a little respect would be nice

It's not given its earned, we all don't start out with a 100 in class like in 5th grade, you gotta work your way towards i

That's not the kind of respect I'm talking about. Yes, a probie or rookie needs to earn the respect of the men and women he or she works with. I'm talking about the human dignity kind of respect, the same that says making racist, sexist comments isn't acceptable should also say that making ageist comments isn't either.

The comment about "fifth grade class" is an example. I was never handed anything through school.

If you are referring to the "Anti-Negativity" policy posted in July of 2011, that is now obsolete.

Can I get a "rule interpretation" from the moderators about the anti-negativity policy, specifically as it applies to younger members of the emergency services.

(Not to you personally). There is no "policy" on younger members. Listen and learn. Just because you don't know something, don't post speculation trying to make it look like you are knowledgeable. There's no age discrimination towards younger members, we just expect mature comments with correct grammar and relevant information. There's a lot of experience on this board, and I encourage the younger members to listen, and join in with questions or insight. The way you present yourself on this forum determines how others will view and treat you.

It seems like there are frequent negative comments about younger members in emergency services that are allowed and go unchecked, where as negative comments about other groups (i.e. racist, sexist, homophobic, career vs. volunteer) get clamped down on.

You are absolutely right. We do clamp down on any racist, sexist, and homophobic comments-the reasons are obvious.

As far as the comment "career vs. volunteer" comments getting clamped down on, that is an absolutely different situation that has been a claim since day one of this forum, usually made when either side gets offended by anothers opinion on the matter. If you are offended by a comment from the "other side", come up with a respectful rebuttal. And, as far as that, we'll let the discussion go on unless it deteriorates in a "flame war" or "bashfest".

I'm talking about the human dignity kind of respect, the same that says making racist, sexist comments isn't acceptable should also say that making ageist comments isn't either.

We can't babysit the forums 24/7. If you see a post with one of these types of comments that concerns you or you believe violates the rules, hit the "Report Post" button, which will bring it to a Moderator's attention and it will be dealt with.

sueg likes this