Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
peterose313

FDNY firefighters exposed to meningitis due to 911 dispatch error

10 posts in this topic

At least four New York firefighters and a supervisor sought medical attention after some of them were exposed to bodily fluids from a woman who had bacterial meningitis, sources told the Daily News. The snafu was caused by an NYPD dispatcher who put incorrect information about the patient into the 911 system.

http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/nyc-firefighters-exposed-meningitis-article-1.1399551#ixzz2ZD2Odr00

Whether responding to a pt with burns or a pt with meningitis, had proper BSI been used (gloves, apron, shield, mask) by the responding company this would not have been an issue.

BSI is for our protection as much as it is for our pts.

We need to be protected from the meningitis pt and a burn pt needs to be protect from us, however both calls require the same BSI.

Edited by SRS131EMTFF
Atv300 likes this

Disreguard this post.

Edited by 10512

So, because the dispatch didn't specify that the patient had meningitis they decided not to use proper PPE? Do they only use PPE if a certain danger is specified by the dispatch ? Do we just assume now that as long as the caller doesn't mention anything, the victim must be perfectly healthy and therefore we're safe from HIV, Hepatitis etc ?

Was this knowledge presented to the call taker but not relayed to the field units?

Are NYPD/FDNY call takers trained Emergency Medical Dispatchers

(For those that aren't familiar with it, it's a professional certification that is becoming the standard in most dispatch centers nowadays. It follows a computer or card based protocol to allow call takers with no medical training (EMD Training is 40 hours though), to collect the most important information sequentially to get the right response to the right person in the right amount of time, and to prioritize calls. It also allows call takers to give Pre-Arrival instructions, such as CPR instructions over the phone.)

Also, is any of this because FDNY*EMS is shorthanded? If so, when will they be hiring again? Used to be an ongoing open exam, now doesn't seem like they are giving any tests.

Was this knowledge presented to the call taker but not relayed to the field units?

Are NYPD/FDNY call takers trained Emergency Medical Dispatchers

(For those that aren't familiar with it, it's a professional certification that is becoming the standard in most dispatch centers nowadays. It follows a computer or card based protocol to allow call takers with no medical training (EMD Training is 40 hours though), to collect the most important information sequentially to get the right response to the right person in the right amount of time, and to prioritize calls. It also allows call takers to give Pre-Arrival instructions, such as CPR instructions over the phone.)

Also, is any of this because FDNY*EMS is shorthanded? If so, when will they be hiring again? Used to be an ongoing open exam, now doesn't seem like they are giving any tests.

"The snafu was caused by an NYPD dispatcher who put incorrect information into the 911 system. The error generated a ticket that popped up just after 6 p.m. at Engine 305 that said 'burns.' It was quickly updated to 'serious/inside' when the 911 caller — who was not with the patient — gave a few more specifics, the FDNY said.

But to the firefighters, the ticket was read as a woman with serious burns inside, union sources said."

So you're all going to tell me that you wear your eye shields, mask, and apron on every EMS run? I'm sure they had gloves on, like they do on every CFR run, and everyone prepares a little differently based on the ticket received. Personally some of the worst BSI I see is from long time medics, starting IVs with no gloves etc. and I can't count how many times BLS has walked in, sees us doing compressions, and says hey do you guys have any gloves we can borrow!?

FDNY 10-75 and JetPhoto like this

and the hits just keep coming.

http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/bronx/bronx-families-escape-early-morning-fire-article-1.1400955?localLinksEnabled=false

This new ICAD system is a complete failure that is endangering everyone....FD/EMS/PD and civilians. I am beginning to wonder how much Bloomberg's associates are making off this project? Another CityTime fiasco? I know the PD dispatchers/911 operators are not the sharpest tools in the box sometimes, but this system is seriously flawed, yet Bloomberg continues on like it will be solved with "retraining" and discipline. I Call BS

I really don't think any of this has to do with I/CAD. I worked in a system that used I/CAD and it worked flawlessly for us, mind you our call volume was much less then NYC's.

If anything it is a UCT problem.

Calls are still being lost without explanation, routed to wrong recipients, and in the hurry to didpatxh...miss important info. UCT just inflames the failure of ICAD

Edited by grumpyff