PEMO3

Empire City Promoting Auto Theft?

10 posts in this topic

post-957-0-44949900-1375035570.jpg

On a recent trip to Empire City I noticed the above signs are placed on every light pole in the parking lot. These seem to be in direct contrast to YPD's advocacy of the use of auto alarms to deter auto theft and break ins. While I realize that these alarms are not the cure all, the only way one would know the alarm was "activated" is either by the vehicle being "violated" and the alarm sounding or someone cruising the lot looking for those little lights that blink on some systems when they are on. Either way the signs are trouble in the making. Anyone from YPD aware of these signs.

On my wifes honda the alarm is activated by simply locking the doors (and it does a multiple beep to let you know). I do not know if you can lock the doors and bypass the alarm, but why would you?

Also can they actually fine you in a private lot?

I think they can fine you BECAUSE it is a private lot.

A business owner or property owner can have any rules they like, provided they aren't illegal or discriminatory.

Now, how they would collect those fines is another matter

Curious question. Isn't Empire City/Yonkers Raceway run by the NYS Gaming Commission? If so that would make it public not private property if I am correct.

Curious question. Isn't Empire City/Yonkers Raceway run by the NYS Gaming Commission? If so that would make it public not private property if I am correct.

Not run by, only regulated by.

I think they can fine you BECAUSE it is a private lot.

A business owner or property owner can have any rules they like, provided they aren't illegal or discriminatory.

Now, how they would collect those fines is another matter

If they do, I suspect they would lose the customer. Not a good way to stay in biz.

I also wonder about liabilities. You warn me not to arm my alarm or you will fine me. I come out and my car is stolen. Are you liable since you circumvented my ability to protect my property and created an environment that was benificial to the thief.

IMO I think this sign is directed towards people that like to find their car by activating the alarm which I have done before but not at Empire City. I know horses can get spooked by those types of sounds since the lot is close to the track so to me it kind of makes sense. The sign doesn't say you can't arm the alarm.

velcroMedic1987 likes this

IMO I think this sign is directed towards people that like to find their car by activating the alarm which I have done before but not at Empire City. I know horses can get spooked by those types of sounds since the lot is close to the track so to me it kind of makes sense. The sign doesn't say you can't arm the alarm.

That's the way I read it too. I don't think they're telling you not to arm your alarm or let it stop a car thief. I think they're saying if you're too stupid to remember where you parked you should have to walk around until you find it rather than hitting the panic button and following the noise and flashing lights. Empire City seems to be trying to be a good neighbor. There have been tons of problems with parking, traffic, etc. so I wouldn't be surprised if that's it.