Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
nydude2473

Port Authority FD jobs...any news?

15 posts in this topic

Hey, I heard about the position for chief for the Port Authority FD and I knew that happened a while back but I was wondering are they hiring anybody yet for the firefighter positions? Has that been posted anywhere or talked about?

I heard a rumor, and it was just a rumor, that the current PAPD guys would get first shot to transfer over. I heard nothing about the pay or any benefits. I do not know if the PAPD and PAFD will have pay parity. This rumor was months ago, never heard anymore about it.

believe it or not from what i heard is that most guys will not transfer to the fd side due to lack of overtime, therefore using the fd as a way to go out before retirement isnt a significant option as well. 2 year contracts before you can jump the fence. but hey im not a pa employee, just what i heard, many love to start the rumor mill as well.

I just don't see why, in the case of LGA and JFK, they just don't let FDNY handle it. In many other major cities, such as Los Angeles and Miami, the local jurisdiction handles things both landside and airside. This would probably be the simplest thing to do, and FDNY could handle the additional responsibility IMO.

I think it will be some time before we see any tests open, yet alone hiring and academy. There's even more then I want to imagine that needs to get done, and I would imagine the Port Authority may even be contesting or seeking to redefine the ruling.

I would imagine the Port Authority may even be contesting or seeking to redefine the ruling.

I believe they agreed to the ruling to settle the violations.

i just got a email regarding the last test and that info will be passed through email etc. A basic email stating the process is going.....

Police side test or fire side test?

Police. I don't think the fire side is even formally established yet

I guess that means that hiring firefighters for the job ain't that far away.

If they do start hiring guys for firefighter positions for this new job, would it be a civil service test or would they be hiring guys with experience or qualifications? I know they are looking for guys with experience and qualifications for the higher ranking jobs but just wasn't sure if they would be doing that for the firefighters. Also, if they do higher off a test or such, do you think they would give certain training so that these new firefighters would meet the necessary standards?

So is there at least going to be a test for the Police Department? If so can someone post the info please

They tested for PD several months back. But if you are really interested you can always go to the Port Authority website and see for yourself.

If they do start hiring guys for firefighter positions for this new job, would it be a civil service test or would they be hiring guys with experience or qualifications? I know they are looking for guys with experience and qualifications for the higher ranking jobs but just wasn't sure if they would be doing that for the firefighters. Also, if they do higher off a test or such, do you think they would give certain training so that these new firefighters would meet the necessary standards?

They could offer a test but require as a pre-requisite certain training or certifications. I think the PA has to use civil service procedures like any municipality despite their "authority" status.

Regardless of how they hire, I'm sure they're going to do training for everyone. Isn't that one of the terms of their agreement to split from the PD?

nydude2473 likes this