Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
x635

New FDNY Engine 34- 2013 Seagrave w/ High Pressure Pump

41 posts in this topic

As already stated by M'Ave and others here, unlike "some" local FDs around here and their interpretation of a bidding process, it is all about the Benjamin's and KME was nearly 100k lower than Seagrave for the Engine bid.

If I'm not mistaken, the difference between Seagrave's bid and KME's bid was in the $200,000-$300,000 range with Ferrara roughly in the middle.

no blue to the rear?

Top left Mini-Bar has a blue light built in, as seen in this video. (Skip to 2:15)

Edited by x4093k
EmsFirePolice and sfrd18 like this

Top left Mini-Bar has a blue light built in, as seen in this video. (Skip to 2:15)

Oh thank goodness. I don't know what we'd do without it........

**All future references to a "mini-bar" should refer to a small refrigerator filled with a variety of booze in a hotel room ;)

CHIEFPHIL, CFFD117, 10512 and 4 others like this

Not being very familiar with FDNY procedures, are these high pressure pumpers a regular engine company? Or, are they a special piece of apparatus that are staffed by the company they are quartered with when needed? My guess would be, they are staffed like all other engine companies, and have first due areas just like everyone else, but I don't know if that's the case. Thanks

They are regular engine companies. The 3 stage HP engines are pretty much concentrated in areas of the city with major high rises (think downtown and midtown Manhattan, and a few others spread out in the rest of the city). As others have said what makes them special is the extra impeller, the special high pressure outlets, and the high pressure hose to go with it. Needing to use the 3rd stage doesn't happen often. I think the last time I know of was the fire at 1 WTC 1-2 years ago.

Newburgher likes this

I think all the Engines assigned to SI have 750 gallon tanks.

Technically it's up to the company to set up their hose loads. They are issued a standard ammont of hose and set their beds up accordingly.

Some things I have seen.

Main bed with less than 6 lenghts of 1 3/4

Main bed with quite a bit of hose up to 1000' and while that may seem odd if you have a first due area with very large 7 story buildings without standpipes stretches in excess of 500 feet are not uncommon. In Upper Manhattan and the Bronx this is often seen.

M' Ave likes this

Is that true , that S.I. engine companies have 750 gal. tanks, while the rest of the city is 500?

Is that true , that S.I. engine companies have 750 gal. tanks, while the rest of the city is 500?

No, All FDNY engines are 500 gallon tanks

No, All FDNY engines are 500 gallon tanks

100% wrong. Some engine companies are assigned apparatus with 750gal booster tanks. As I understand it, some of these have been replaced, but some are still in service. Units in Staten Island, especially the southern battalion were the ones who operate/operated these rigs.

Try to be accurate when making absolute statements.....

Edited by M' Ave

Dumb question, but why do some SI companies have a larger booster tank? The possibility of having to rely off booster water for longer in large areas of brush?