PC_420

Fogged Up Mask

13 posts in this topic

For the years I've been firefighting, I can't find an effective solution to a fogged up Scott Mask. Anyone have any thoughts, methods, chemicals, sprays.. Or anything to fix this problem?

I'm aware of that one. But it's a waste of air and only last so long... Looking for a more permanent way

firemoose827 likes this

I'm aware of that one. But it's a waste of air and only last so long... Looking for a more permanent way

Try fog x on the inside

Look on amazon for defoggers. Two magnets one on the inside on on the out. Works awesome

Just give it a quick purge if it's that bad. I wouldn't put any chemicals on the inside of the mask though...

shfirefighter likes this

Get a mask that fits. If you are wearing a mask that fogs all the time its because the face cup is not sealing against your face and your exhaled air is escaping. The only other time this occurs is when you leave an area of superheated air and enter ambient temperature. And at that point you should probably be out of the IDLH.

Bnechis likes this

Also make sure you're not donning your facepiece too early. Don't donn the facepiece on the rig because you are going to clip the regulator in later. If you practice you can be quck at putting everything on at the entrance to the IDLH. While moving in it's normal to have to clean the outside of the facepiece with your gloved hand. If you have the TIC you will have to do the screen and the lense.

x129K likes this

Everybodygoes said it dude. I'm thinking the mask is the wrong size. You should do another fit test.

PC_420 likes this

Look on amazon for defoggers. Two magnets one on the inside on on the out. Works awesome

Can you please explain this in more detail? Like how it works exactly? You just put a magnet on the inside and outside of your mask? Thats interesting, never heard of it and Im curious. Thanks.

Firemoose, it's almost like the magnetic cleaners for fish tanks. It's thin and stays in the corner of the mask till it's needed. When you move it across the mask a magnet drags a cloth covered block across the inside of the mask.

Fit's gotta be the problem. I've never had much trouble with this, usually the face piece is clear once air is flowing. Take the advice that was already listed and try a different fit.

I wouldn't be too concerned with perfect clarity, however. When you've got your face-piece on, how optimal is visibility anyway? Usually, not very.

BFD1054 and sfrd18 like this