x635

Jersey City-About The EMS Contract

17 posts in this topic

A very interesting issue/website

In December 2013, the JCMC EMS’s contract with the City of Jersey City is set to expire. Based on the department’s 130 years worth of outstanding service to the City and the JCMC’s reputation with the national EMS community, we expect that our elected officials will see fit to continue to utilize our services.

The Jersey City Medical Center’s EMS Department is the first triply-accredited EMS provider in the country and maintains Hudson County’s only accredited 9-1-1 emergency call center. Their efforts to reduce response times through technology prompted NJBIZ to recognize the JCMC EMS with an Innovation in Healthcare Award.

JCMC EMS responds to approximately 90,000 incidents per year and maintains response times that exceed similar sized departments in other mid-sized cities across the Country. JCMC’s EMS Department resuscitation rates are 2x better than the national average and provide twice the number of paramedics than required by law.

Read more: http://jclivesmatter.org/about-the-contract/

sfrd18 likes this

Is someone bidding against them?

That's what I'm wondering. I can't seem to find anything about their contract being contested....hopefully someone here knows.

They have a petition drive and a 28 minute long video about their history, there must be some kind of challenger.

In NJ, 911 paramedics are required by law to be through a hospital. That severely limits the competition as the commercial services can't get involved.

I would think probably them or Atlantic

In NJ, 911 paramedics are required by law to be through a hospital. That severely limits the competition as the commercial services can't get involved.

That used to be the law.

Who is using non hospital based paramedics as 911 providers?

I am not aware of any

There are no non-hospital based Paramedic providers in New Jersey. I've heard MONOC was going to be a bid in but I don't think MONOC has the juice to take Jersey City on and would love to see their bid package (good luck seeing that).

JCESU likes this

All about the Benjamins. I'm shocked. Really, I am.

Edited by STAT213

Jersey City is planning to switch ambulance providers after 130 years with Jersey City Medical Center. Pending approval, the city will award a contract to for-profit CarePoint Health and Bayonne-based McCabe Ambulance.

The new three-year pact, if approved by the city council next week, would bring in $2.6 million for the city annually, officials said in announcing the change.

http://www.nj.com/jjournal-news/index.r/2013/12/jersey_city_plans_to_switch_am.html

Yes and no, do not forget that JCMC was bought out by St Barnabus Health system earlier this year and are now ran by an out of county hospital system. McCabe has been around for 40 years and has been growing steadily over the last 3 years. I'm rather eager to see what they do, and not just as an employee of McCabe.

So, McCabe is providing the ambulance service, will JCMC still provide the ALS? And will this result in JCMC's ambulance service shutting down?

Once again, the dollar sign wins out again over quality EMS....JCMC EMS is an proven, excellent agency, very well equipped with experienced medics that already has the infrastructure in place to serve the city. McCabe may be to do the job, but not to the level that JCMC has the advantage to provide.

I don't know for sure. I wouldn't think JCMC ambulance would shut down, as they probably would still be needed for IFT's and things of that nature; especially if like you said they are keeping the ALS portion

JCMC is not shutting down, they released a statement that no one would lose their jobs. And yes, they will still have ALS as they are the primary ALS provider for the County. Also, McCabe is quality EMS, they've been providing 911 services to Bayonne for 40 years and have been a steady mutual aid agency for Jersey City for just as long. It's not like an non inner city agency from out of County is coming in. Bayonne and JC border.