Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
EMT111

NYSP Aviation Communications

8 posts in this topic

Does anyone know what kind of communications system/radios NYSP aviation is using? I've never heard them on a NYSP radio channel, and apparently today they landed at the Pine Island firehouse in the middile of a fire prevention detail to report a brush fire. Maybe I'm wrong but I would think they'd just call their dispatcher and have them call Orange 911 to dispatch Pine Island rather than land and physically report the fire.

They can communicate on all NYSP and local frequencies. If they landed, it must have been for some other reason.

I have heard them on Orange County Priority 159.135 before. I think I remember hearing them as 2H17 and 2H18

They probably have bendix king's programmable to all bands and PL or DCS tones. Not trunking capable though.

They didn't have a lot of local frequencies programmed a few years ago when we were planning a big drill they were going to be part of. It seems that past administrations believed everyone communicates on SP frequencies. They must never have left Albany and come south to our part of the state. LOL

As for why they landed and got a face to face briefing, my buddies in the ANG and the NYPD never start operations like that without planning for it, briefing it, and insuring that everyone is on the same page. The last thing you want is a ton of water being dropped on a ground crew.

The water isn't so bad, when it soaks the sandwiches it can cause a near riot though! Thank the ANG from Louisiana for that gem of a drop during Katrina.

Was anyone up at the fire in Ramapo yesterday? Sounds like they had at least 3-4 aircraft dropping water and had some communciations problems because water hit ground crews a couple of times.