x635

Los Angeles (LAX) Active Shooter Inside Terminal 3 w/ Multiple Shot 11-1-13 (Discussion)

14 posts in this topic

11/1/2013 - LAX Multi-Patient Incident
LAFD is assisting law enforcement at multi-patient incident at LAX. Per protocol, ALL media/public info (including LAFD efforts) will come at this time from LAPD, LAX PD and LAX Operations representatives. -Humphrey ###
Gunman in LAX shooting is killed; TSA officer also dead, others wounded

Breaking news, link to LA Times coverage: http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me-ln-live-lax-shooting-tsa-agent-alleged-gunman-shot-20131101,0,3517669.story#axzz2jQ8OxSIQ

Per the official press conference at 11:52 PT:

LAX World Airport PD Chief Gannon: About 0920hrs Pacific Time an active shooter situation occured. Suspect armed with assault rifle (per PD Chief) inside LAX Terminal 3. Shooter started firing before and through security checkpoint and continued deep into Terminal 3. Officers followed the suspect, who was still actively shooting, engaged and shot the suspect/shooter. Multiple victims shot. Suspect in custody. Terminal evacuated.Unknown fatalities, working with FD to rectify. Only one shooter believed involved in incident.

LAFD Chief Featherstone: LAFD treated 7 patients, transported 6, 100 Fire/EMS personnel committed to an Major Emergency MCI incident, LA Emergency Operations Center operating at Level 1

LAPD Chief Charlie Beck: FBI handling investigation, with LAX PD and LAPD assisting

FBI: Agent David Bowdich: Will give very little facts today, no information will be given about victims, today, evidence response and other specialized teams enroute to LAX.

City Councilman: Commended the unified command

First thing said the shooter is dead, Is he KIA Or in custody?

First thing said the shooter is dead, Is he KIA Or in custody?

Shooter went to the hospital, is now in PD/FBI custody. TSA agent shot and killed.

x635 likes this

I swear I posted here earlier. Whoever was the staging officer/ directing incoming unit was not doing the greatest job. CNN had a reporter on the highway going into LAX and you could see the traffic at a stand still backed up for miles, where as the side of the highway coming out of the airport was empty since the airport was on lock down. Some how though, both LAPD and LAFD were fighting their way up through the traffic, rather than going the wrong way on the empty side, something to think about for future incident planning. Otherwise it looked like a well rehearsed, well run unified command with everyone (LAWAPD, LAPD, LASO, FBI, LAFD)all working together to get the job done quickly and efficiently. I'm sure that the active shooter drill LAWAPD and LAPD ran at the airport three weeks ago was a great asset and helped prepare the officers for today and shows just how important these drills are for everyone

Edited by EMT111
x635 likes this

I believe it is time that the feds consider training and arming TSA agents. I feel given the climate today it is crazy not to have people un-armed in a high profile place such as airport you need armed people. This guy could of ended up on the plane. The other alternative is get rid of the TSA and use armed police wether at the federal level or local level. That aside my thoughts and prayers are with the TSA agent who was killed. May he rest in peace.

x635 likes this

Just because the distinction is important, but the news won't take the time to explain it to you...A little background on TSA's organization:

The Officer that was killed yesterday was a Transportation Security Officer, not an Agent. TSOs are NOT law enforcement officers, have no arrest powers, and are not trained, equipped or authorized to use force. Think of them as a federal security officer force. That being said, it sounds like some of these TSOs did a GREAT job evacuating civilians from the area and they should be commended, especially given that they have no weapons or body armor to protect themselves with.

For TSOs to be issued firearms they would probably all have to be sent to the Federal Law Enforcement Training Center in Glynco, GA for the Uniformed Police Training Program also known as UPTP (Amtrak PD, US Capitol PD, Pentagon PD, Federal Protective Service, are all sent here) but that means a SIGNIFICANT increase in training time and pay for the employees. So I don't think you'll see TSOs get that kind of training.

Most, if not all, of the TSA employees with the "Special Agent" designation are members of the Federal Air Marshal Service, who I'm sure most of you are familiar with. They go to Glynco for the Criminal Investigator Training Program (think ATF, US Marshals, Postal Inspectors, NCIS, etc) which is significantly more advanced than even the UPTP. Special Agents are, by federal law, criminal investigators, and the distinction is very important in the federal system. Contrary to popular belief they have absolutely NOTHING to do with the United States Marshals Service (which is assigned under Dept. of Justice, not Homeland Security/TSA as the Air Marshals are.) I believe the only other "Special Agents" in TSA are Investigators for their Inspector General, but they may just use the IG for their parent Department, Homeland Security.

Despite being called "Air Marshals," they are also used in "Visible Intermodal Prevention and Response" (VIPR) Details at land and sea based transit hubs as well, assisting other federal agencies in providing high-visibility security. Aside from that, if some whackjob came into the airport looking to kill FAMS Agents, he would have had a hard time spotting them, much less killing one in a shootout. The word "Marksman" doesn't even begin to describe these guys and gals.

This is the first LODD that TSA has suffered in their 12-year history, and it sounds like they were the direct target of the suspect, reports are saying he was asking people if they worked for TSA and sparing anyone who said no. My thoughts and prayers are with the Officer's family, friends and coworkers. Thank you for your service.

Edited by SageVigiles
x635 likes this

Here's the official LAFD Release. LAFD has an excellent PIO program as proven in this release.

LAFD Responds to Ill and Injured from LAX Shooting

date.pngFriday, November 01, 2013 | user.png Posted by LAFD

LOS ANGELES - The Los Angeles Fire Department aided six persons ill or injured as the direct result of a shooting incident at Los Angeles International Airport (LAX) Friday morning, said LAFD Battalion Chief Armando Hogan. Hogan explained that five patients were taken promptly by ambulance to area hospitals, while a sixth person declined medical care.

Summoned by airport officials at 9:28 AM on November 1, 2013 to Terminal 3, Fire Department personnel arrived quickly to an active shooter incident, to find the assailant quickly neutralized and scene secured by law enforcement officials.

During the prompt triage, treatment and transport of the five patients, LAFD joined a Unified Command with the Los Angeles Airport Police Department, Los Angeles Police Department and Federal Bureau of Investigation, as the airport premises were combed for additional hazards. With none discovered, LAFD transitioned to the role of an "assisting agency", as law enforcement officials continued their active investigation.

In the twelve hours that followed, LAFD strategically deployed more than 125 personnel on a rotating basis to serve the tens of thousands who were isolated within or refrained from reentering the 3,425 acre airport property. Working closely with American Red Cross volunteers, firefighters distributed water, snacks and information to as many persons as possible.

Throughout the day, LAFD Paramedics medically evaluated an additional 27 persons not involved with the shooting, who suffered illness or minor injury while evacuated from, sheltered within or waiting to deplane into terminals at the nation's third busiest airport. Thirteen of those persons were taken to areas hospitals by LAFD Ambulance for further evaluation.

No further details were made available regarding the age, gender, condition, affiliation or circumstances involving those who were ill or injured.

Those seeking additional information are asked to contact the Los Angeles Airport Police Department, Los Angeles Police Department, Federal Bureau of Investigation, Department of Homeland Security - Transportation Security Administration and LAX Airport Administration.

Dispatched LAFD Units: E51 RA51 E95 RA95 EM4 BC4 RA63 RA62 EM9 DC1 BC18 E295 T95 E5 E205 E263 T63 BC722 TM8 TM1 RA64 RA66 RA894 RA94 RA43 RA892 EM18 TM5 RA58 BC9 DC718 HL1 E63 E94 E266 T66 E292 T92 H3 RH114 T90 E290 JT4 CM3 CP3 RA62 RA11 RA29 RA11 RA29 RA29 RA892 RA867 RA894 RA257 RA95 RA63 CS3 RA29 CP2

Submitted by Brian Humphrey, Spokesman
Los Angeles Fire Department

"The Officer that was killed yesterday was a Transportation Security Officer, not an Agent. TSOs are NOT law enforcement officers, have no arrest powers, and are not trained, equipped or authorized to use force. Think of them as a federal security officer force. That being said, it sounds like some of these TSOs did a GREAT job evacuating civilians from the area and they should be commended, especially given that they have no weapons or body armor to protect themselves with.

For TSOs to be issued firearms they would probably all have to be sent to the Federal Law Enforcement Training Center in Glynco, GA for the Uniformed Police Training Program also known as UPTP (Amtrak PD, US Capitol PD, Pentagon PD, Federal Protective Service, are all sent here) but that means a SIGNIFICANT increase in training time and pay for the employees. So I don't think you'll see TSOs get that kind of training."

This needs to change. We need armed trained law enforcement wether they train the TSO's in this capacity or like I said earlier have another agency handle

This needs to change. We need armed trained law enforcement wether they train the TSO's in this capacity or like I said earlier have another agency handle

As far as I know, commercial service airports are required by TRS 1542 to have some sort of law enforcement personnel on site during normal operating hours. As for Westchester, we do maintain a contract with WCPD to have a squad here 24/7.

For arming TSO's, I can't agree with you on that. If every TSO was armed there is bound to be an accident (someone will shoot themselves in the foot, misfires, etc.), and the cost would be astronomical compared to the already budget busting department that it is. Nevermind the fact that some TSO's won't use their weapons, noting the fact that the news agencies reported TSO's who ran and hid. Let's face it, not everyone is cut out to be a police officer.

Besides, this type of incident would probably have a near same outcome even if TSO's were armed. The shooter began shooting outside of the checkpoint and continued shooting as he walked through. Armed TSO's would probablt have stopped the shooter at the checkpoint, but I would believe that more bystanders would be injured by the array of bullets coming out of both ends of the checkpoint.

The main problem, as I see it, is that not enough security is happening OUTSIDE of the terminal's secure area. TSA over the years has focused most exclusively to the secure areas of the airfield and airfield fencelines. Security also needs to have a focus long before people even reach the terminal. Remote chemical detectors, random car checks increased law enforcement presence in public areas (parking lots, ticketing and baggage areas, common areas/lobbies), and random bag searches. Israeli airports have implimented these ideas long before the 9/11 events, and Israeli airports are amongst the safest in the world. Heck, if you leave your bag unattended for mosre than 10 seconds, you and your bag are both detained by police and you end up in a dimly lit room being interrogated.

Does change need to happen? Yes. Does more need to be done? Indeed. The real question should be, "How do we safely secure our nation's airports?"

x635 and SageVigiles like this

I believe it is time that the feds consider training and arming TSA agents. I feel given the climate today it is crazy not to have people un-armed in a high profile place such as airport you need armed people. This guy could of ended up on the plane. The other alternative is get rid of the TSA and use armed police wether at the federal level or local level. That aside my thoughts and prayers are with the TSA agent who was killed. May he rest in peace.

That's a double edged sword. First the cost is astronomical to properly train and arm so many people. Second, they're supposed to be safeguarding an area that is "weapons-free" and not unlike the argument about armed pilots, you're now introducing more weapons to that "sterile" environment.

There are police in every airport terminal. Maybe they need more? Using them as the screeners would also be cost prohibitive. They're cutting enough cops from police work.

To be honest you could put the whole Army in the check point. If someone is going to walk in and shoot someone or a few people you are not going to stop it. How long do you think it will take to shoot up a terminal. Not very long at all they only need ten minutes if that much. People who are going to do this are not looking to get away with it. They know they are going to die. Look at an Airport like HPN. how much time does someone need to shoot that place up. Look at the Que line there. You just have to walk in with an Automatic weapon and start shooting. Look at the Main terminal at LGA. how often do you see PAPD next to a check point. The avg response time at LGA for PAPD is more then 5 mins. how much time is needed to shoot up a check point, or the que line waiting to get into the check point. This is one of the things that is not going to be stopped unless there is an armed person standing there waiting for it, and hopefully that LEO gets the jump on the person because if not, its going to be a very long day.

At Austin-Bergstrom International Airport in Austin, TX (AUS), there is always a PD Officer observing the whole screening area from a point where they can see the whole area. It's a quiet post, but an important one. It's been that way for years.

An active shooter situation can occur anywhere these days. You're really not safe anywhere. What concerns me is what if this guy made it onto a plane?

Interestingly enough Connecticut just cut the Troop that protected Bradley Airport out and made them part of Troop H (Hartford), eliminating at least a Lieutenant and Master Sergeant, and I think a few line positions as well. It also means that the shift commander at H Troop can pull some of the Airport guys off to help on the highway or streets of Hartford if things get nasty, but that never happens right?