Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Jybehofd

EMS Transports Poll on inter facility transports

10 posts in this topic

How often do you not get a report from the sending nurse or md because they are too busy and just say take the patient? we all do it jobs are backing up and the patient needs to be at the other hospital or facility. and how do you document this on your PCR or run form?

Umm. Never...

The very first thing I do when walking into the facility, with my partner is go to the Nurses Station, get the paperwork, and have them page the nurse. After seeing the discharge paperwork(if everything looks straightforward and there are no ISO precautions, etc.), the person driving that day goes and makes pt contact, and the tech starts the paperwork while waiting for the nurse. Seeing the paperwork before seeing the nurse allows you to get a report from the nurse, AND ask questions if there is anything you don't understand.

If your answer is "we all do it jobs are backing up ", remember:

-If the transport goes bad, it's your fault

-If the paperwork is messed up, it's your fault

-If you did something you weren't supposed to do(pt movement, etc.), it's your fault

Patient care first, then let dispatch yell at you for being too slow.

And I work for a company that we do 6-7 jobs a tour, and they expect us to be in and out of a facility in 20 minutes from on-scene to en-route. We make it work.

Edited by newsbuff
Bnechis and velcroMedic1987 like this

Agreed! If the staff gives you a hard time, ask them how often they accept a patient without receiving report. If they're too busy for you, wait. If your dispatch doesn't like it, have them send a supervisor to talk to the nurse's supervisor.

The liability is on YOU once you accept the patient so make sure you do everything to minimize it - like appropriate documentation and exchange of information from the facility.

Good luck!

I have walked into an ER for a transport and have had the Doctor himself thrusting a large pile of paperwork at me and yelling "Here, he needs to be at XYZ hospital STAT just load and go!!!" Only brief minutes later the PT is requiring intubation, or they code. I always at least got the brief report from the nurses, which I trusted more then the docs at our local facility, and they knew what info I needed.

There was one time we walked into the trauma room of the ER for a transport and saw the MD about to attempt an intubation; this doc is a medical doc and is rarely in the ER and has not tubed someone in years mind you. I walked in and saw his hands shaking so bad the tube was whipping back and forth. I calmly told him to let go of the laryngoscope and step back. He looked at me and I sear he was about to pass out, he half smiled and handed it over. Took me less than 40 seconds to tube him and we were out the door with the nurse giving me the report as we wheeled out and loaded.

Always try and get a report so you at least know what is going on and what treatments you need to monitor enroute.

sueg likes this

lately the nurses have been "too busy" so after 30 mins or so i might get a report the patient is going to xyz cath lab why are you waiting still... from the rn and nothing on the hist of the patient... I try but there is only so much you can get out of someone, and then they complain that i ask too many questions???

One more thought. If this is a common problem at a specific facility report it to your QA/QI program (stop laughing, we're all supposed to have them)

One more thought. If this is a common problem at a specific facility report it to your QA/QI program (stop laughing, we're all supposed to have them)

Also, ask to talk to the Charge Nurse, or the Nurse Supervisor if you are getting fed up with the floor staff.

lately the nurses have been "too busy" so after 30 mins or so i might get a report the patient is going to xyz cath lab why are you waiting still... from the rn and nothing on the hist of the patient... I try but there is only so much you can get out of someone, and then they complain that i ask too many questions???

Its not your job to do the RNs job. You would not leave a pt in an ER bed, transferring care to the ED without giving a report to your RN and thus a RN should not be transferring a pt to the EMS crew until a report has been given.

I would add the condition that if you have all of the relevant paperwork and the pts chart is included with the paperwork, and you have reviewed the pts chart, the need for an oral report from the RN is lessened, not removed, but lessened.

It is your a** on the line if you do not get a report and everything goes south.

If the pt is actually critical then a report with the paperwork should be quickly forecoming. If the pt is stable and the nurses are busy, then both you and your pt can wait.

Edited by SRS131EMTFF

I have never had a hard time getting a report for a transport. As the RN or Doc gives me the info, I have my notepad out taking notes, if there was info that I think I needed I would ask, again, never was given a hard time. Even doing a critical transport from a hospital to medical center. At no time was I told "Hey I am too busy all the inf you need is in his paperwork"

If however I would encounter that situation, I would remain the professional and try to get the info I need before taking over patient care. Politely remind the staff that a proper patient care report is needed to take over the patient. But remain calm, professional at all times. Do not get upity with any staffer.