Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
v85

I-684 in Greenwich

13 posts in this topic

So, I was on I-684 today for the first time and noticed that by the Westchester County Airport it actually enters the State of Connecticut for a mile or two.

My question is who responds to incidents on this section of road, as it seems to be pretty far from where the closest Greenwich units would be coming from?

Is there mutual aide agreements in place for fire/EMS and what about police

I think there are inter-municipal agreements between NYSP & CSP and Armonk Fire and GFD. I believe there have been incidents when vehicles have left the roadway and Ct. units have been involved with rescue or investigation...

Pretty sure routine stuff is handled by NY simply because of the location. Fatals or crimes have to be investigated by CT.

Maybe one of our law enforcement brothers can confirm?

As far as I know from a retired Trooper who used to work that area, general patrol is done by NYSP but CSP responds to all incidents there. There is an interstate compact between CT & NY that allows them to back each other up on both sides of the line as needed / requested however each state is still primary in their area.

I am not sure about FD/EMS but I don't see Greenwich being able to respond up there in a timely manner.

Armonk FD/EMS handle fire and ems in that area with Westchester ems for the medic. when there is construction in that area that is schedule a CT trooper is posted with the crew. NYSP responds for emergencies in that area only. I believe if there is a fatal CT Troopers will either be called in or notified. I do not recall any recent fatal accidents in that area. Armonk FD/EMS cover just south of exit 2 usually just before the pump house on the south bound side, then Harrison EMS and Purchase fire take it. Then they cover to just short of Exit 4, believe it stops just at the southern end of Byram Lake, i'm not too sure the exact mile marker.

Armonk FD and Purchase FD take control of fire calls in the area. A few months ago, there was an accident on the exit off of 684. Armonk FD was toned out in addition to NYSP.

Point being, Armonk FD responds to calls with the assistance of Purchase FD.

Off the exit is not CT. CT is a span between exits 2 and 3. Stick to the topic.

Off the exit is not CT. CT is a span between exits 2 and 3. Stick to the topic.

Way to make yourself look uneducated. We are talking about 684 between exit 2 and 3.

EmsFirePolice likes this

Junior, the topic is about 684, not the Westchester County Airport. Read carefully.

Any particular reason you are being hostile to a senior member of the Westchester County first response community?

Its not like he insulted or belittled you, only offered corrections to your incorrect statement...

Way to make yourself look uneducated. We are talking about 684 between exit 2 and 3.

When on I-684, only 1.33 miles are within CT. Of those 1.33 miles, neither exit 2 nor exit 3 are within CT. From NY-CT border, it is 0.33 miles to exit 2 and 1.05 miles to exit 3.

How is he uneducated? He stated the fact that neither exit 2 nor exit 3 is within CT, thus any incident occurring on the exits would be squarely within NY.

Junior, the topic is about 684, not the Westchester County Airport. Read carefully.

Who said anything about the airport? There are no exits off of 684 in Connecticut. Only a section of highway between exits 2 and 3.

My point was that the issue of an accident on an exit ramp is irrelevant to the discussion because the exits are all in NYS.

boca1day and Jybehofd like this

the exit ramp of at exit 2 is in north castle the lines are all weird right there. north castle covers up to i think the first or second hanger at the airport