Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
x635

It's Going To Cost $24 To Get Into The 9/11 Museum

9 posts in this topic

Recently read that it's going to cost $24 each for admission to the 9/11 museum- the highest museum admission fee in NY. While I acknowledge it costs money to run a museum. there aren't corporate or other grants out there to make it free or at least a lower cost? Part of the reason it's so high is that there is no government funding....should there be, like the Smithsonian? On the contrary, proceeds from the admission go to maintaining the memorial and make that free. But $24 is still steep regardless.

What do you think?

http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/mandatory-24-admission-fee-set-sept-11-museum-article-1.1589891

How many board memebers of the museum are still making $100,000 +annual salaries???

I would rather pay the $24 and see the museum in peace as opposed to having to venture in the zoo the memorial has become.

Was any public/tax money used to build the museum?

This is from a NY Post article. This is why you are paying $24!

"But 11 staffers at the National September 11 Memorial & Museum each pulled down more than $170,000 in total compensation in 2009, according to the most recent filings. Four execs took home more than $320,000.

Foundation President Joseph Daniels, 38, pocketed $371,307 after receiving hefty raises three years in a row — 28 percent in 2006, when he was promoted from acting president, followed by 12 percent and 6 percent.

Museum director Alice Greenwald made $351,000, and capital planning Vice President Joan Gerner soaked up $337,143 before leaving last spring. Development director Cathy Blaney raked in $322,292. The full-time foundation employee also worked last year as a fund-raiser for Gov. Cuomo’s election campaign."

This whole museum and memorial is an embarrassment, and it has been since it was first proposed. There is no reason for this other than the politically connected handing out these jobs.

It has nothing to do with the funding. The money is being squandered.

I will not spend a dime of my money to go there.

This should have been operated by the United States Park Service.

Look at other things the US Park Service runs, take a look at Ellis Island, the Statue of Liberty, check out the many sites in Philadelphia, or Boston, they do an excellant job without the ridiculous salaries/patronage.

It is probably the only thing the US Government does good.

Edited by 10512
FDNY 10-75 likes this

This should have been operated by the United States Park Service.

Look at other things the US Park Service runs, take a look at Ellis Island, the Statue of Liberty, check out the many sites in Philadelphia, or Boston, they do an excellant job without the ridiculous salaries/patronage.

It is probably the only thing the US Government does good.

Plenty of ridiculous salaries and patronage jobs in the Park Service too but I get your point.

It would be great to have it run by them until the next government shutdown when they close everything up!!!!

bigrig77 likes this

Putting aside the politics of this I am sure most of you drop more than $24.00 in a bar or on t-shirts and other things. And I agree the salaries mentioned are outrageous but the $24.00 will not stop me from going and honoring those who died on that horrific day.