Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
x635

LAFD launches overhaul of procedures for handling 911 calls

5 posts in this topic

The Los Angeles Fire Department is launching a sweeping overhaul of cumbersome 911 call handling procedures that officials say contribute to delays in getting rescuers to victims in life-threatening medical emergencies.

http://www.latimes.com/local/la-me-lafd-dispatch-2-20140210,0,6192381.story#ixzz2svTfHF5w

PC_420 likes this

I think it's good that they are striving to cut down on call processing time. I think all public safety agencies should have to give a report card on performace quarterly. Call processing time, turnout time, travel time, and total response time. With that you can have honest conversations about the real essentials. Do we need some paid staff? Is the dispatch entity performing as well as they can be? Closing that firehouse would have this effect.

Bnechis likes this

Is this the first case of a department going away from EMD/ProQA protocols?

Is this the first case of a department going away from EMD/ProQA protocols?

First, it sounds like they are streamlining the EMD protocols, not getting rid of them. Secondly, the article talks about how LACoFD, among other FD/EMS agencies, has already created a more streamlined the dispatch/EMD protocols. Personally, in my opinion, EMD is a waste of time to a degree. While I agree that having dispatchers giving instructions for CPR or how to stop serious bleeding is a good idea, I don't need them trying to determine what kind of seizure the patient had, or should what type of unit (ALS or BLS) should be dispatched based on the patient's specific symptoms. It should just simply be a couple of quick questions, basically what's wrong, and things on list A are ALS calls and things on list B are BLS calls.

velcroMedic1987 likes this

That is how NJ does EMD. The long version is a particular company