Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
x635

Another Mount Vernon FF with Extensive Criminal History Arrested

11 posts in this topic

It's usually against forum policy to discuss of duty incidents. However, I'm using my discretion on this one, based on the severity.

How could Mount Vernon FD hire or retain this firefighter with such an extensive criminal history? This seems to happen in MVFD over and over and over again.

Select quotes from the article:

Mount Vernon firefighter, wife charged in assault of pregnant woman

MOUNT VERNON – A city firefighter was suspended Thursday after he was arrested along with his wife on charges accusing them of attacking a pregnant woman in front of her children in a dispute over ownership of a car, officials said. The Claytons are charged with second-degree robbery, third-degree assault and endangering the welfare of a child.

.................Two of Charles Clayton's arrests were for felony charges. He has been arrested once since becoming a firefighter on a misdemeanor charge of driving while intoxicated. The arrest happened in 2011 and he pled guilty to driving while ability impared by alcohol, a traffic infraction.

All of his arrests occurred in Mount Vernon, Port Chester and the Bronx. Those arrests included charges of DWI, criminal possession of a controlled substance, criminal possession of marijuana, bail jumping and resisting arrest. He has been convicted twice of driving while ability impaired by alcohol, a traffic infraction. He has been convicted three times of seventh-degree criminal possession of a controlled substance, a misdemeanor. Additionally, he has convictions for bail jumping, resisting arrest and reckless driving.

Mount Vernon Fire Chief Edward Stevenson said Thursday that he would reserve comment on the case. He declined to comment on how Clayton could be a firefighter with an extensive criminal history.

Full article: http://www.lohud.com/story/news/2014/03/13/mt-vernon-firefighter-wife-charged-assault-pregnant-woman/6372547/

At what point is it "Conduct Unbecoming"? Does MVFD monitor it's firefighters for involvement in criminal history, and does it have policies set?

BFD1054, somebuffyguy and wraftery like this

Umm..uhhh...wow! Look I'm all for giving guys a second chance...or a chance period. Criminal convictions, while damning, do NOT always illustrate the man. People can and do change as their situation does, so something someone did years ago may not really have any bearing on whether or not they can be an upstanding and productive firefighter now. But in this case I think it's clearly evident that this FF hasn't done much of anything to drag himself up from his past. I truly hope he wakes up before it's too late, but I also think it may be time for a career change for him, he's just too much of a liability to his fellow FFs at this point.

x635, BFD1054 and PCFD ENG58 like this

Felony convictions do not bar employment, as per the Civil Service announcement for Firefighter in the City of MV. Having no standards allows for a larger pool of applicants, along with a larger number of questionable events they will be involved in.

Edited by 20y2

I have no problem giving people another chance but it also depends on the infractions. I don't think the Emergency Service Industry(FD PD EMS etc) should be the Professions wher those with Felonies are given this second chance either. Don't we owe it to the taxpayers paying our Salaries whom we took an oath to protect and are suppose to trust us? They deserve better don't they? This is what happens though when the Standards are lowered so nobody in the Vern should be surprised. Deal with it!

wraftery, PCFD ENG58 and BFD1054 like this

But they will go after a guy who was just cleared in a court of law for faking overtime pay $500. What a joke!!!

But they will go after a guy who was just cleared in a court of law for faking overtime pay $500. What a joke!!!

I am not familiar with that case, but why would you go after someone who was cleared in a court of law?

I am not familiar with that case, but why would you go after someone who was cleared in a court of law?

He was charged, then cleared in a court of law but still faces dept charges.

Another Mount Vernon firefighter has been arrested for illegally restraining/assaulting a student at his second job at Leake and Watts in Yonkers. This firefighter was the same firefighter who threatened other probies while at the academ.y

I don't think the Emergency Service Industry(FD PD EMS etc) should be the Professions wher those with Felonies are given this second chance either.

I do not know much about the FD/EMS standards, but in NYS, any felony conviction is an automatic bar from hiring for a Police Officer position and any felony conviction is an automatic dismissal for any Police Officer position. As far as felonies go, in Law enforcement in NYS, there is no second chance, first strike and you are out!

Edited by 10512
FirNaTine likes this

Our Job has become nothing more then a handout! Thank You, you f****** Liberal a*******! Keep voting them in People!

Edited by FirNaTine