Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Firemn2742A

Computers in Westchester Fire Apparatus?

31 posts in this topic

Just asking how many Depts have a Computer/Laptop/Thinkpad mounted in the cabs of the apparatus?

I have seen computers in apparatus on a recent trip to the mIdwest. I took a tour of the Carol Stream FD ( suburb of Chicago) and everyone of there vehicles were equipped with computers in the cab. The computers had the street directory, hydrant locations, utilities, Haz-Mat, pre fire plans you name it. Was a excellent piece of equipment, and real easy to use. In todays fire service this wouldn't be a bad idea for all emergency vehicles to have. You would have unlimited resources at your finger tips

I say it's time for Westchester to at least have the ability for MDT's With the new radio system come some time in the future and all the radio traffic going on. HAving a computer that you could enter you are responding, in service, etc. Would cut down on some of the extra traffic.

Fairview FD has laptops mounted in their vehicles. I am not sure of what they use them for. If it on a radio network or just has information stored in the hard drive.

MDT's on fire trucks in Westchester would definitely free up 46.26...but you have to teach sooooo many people how to use them...YPD has them in almost every car and very rarely is anyone ever logged on...3-4 cars at the most...

I read an article in Popular Science recently talking about MAN's, Mass Area Networks that will provide broadband connectivity to anyone within range. That will make any PC an MDT. From what I read municipalities will provide this service free...

The 45Medic's have MDT terminals in the Fly Cars. They never work right.

Well of course they don't work right, the tires just fly right off. Oh, you mean the MDTs?

MDT's in Westchester Fire Apparatus? RIGHT! lol =D>

Yes it would be of great use. Simple stuff like 10-2, 10-8, 10-17, 10-19, 10-20, 10-30, 10-75 could be done by the press of a button and free up air time. Also run information such as the address, cross streets, additional information.

FDNY had them since early 80's here we are in Westchester,

What year is this? Oh... 2005!

I hitnk the reson why its not here yet is htat we are mostly Vollies and we get so many people that come and go, to triaon them would be a waste of money. How many of use had that person all gung ho gets some trianing and then there are gone never to be seen again.

I think MDT's would work well for career dept or combo dept. Or everyone could have them right in the station in the dispatch room or office. I could be wrong on this but just a thought.

MDT Training? I've used them. Not much training involved.

You press a few buttons. I think they would be a big help here in Westchester County.

I believe that Hillcrest FD in Rockland is getting a computer in the new Chiefs car. I think it is going to be a self contained unit for now. but it will have the capability to communicate if the county system over there adopts it.

Ossining Ladder 41 (Senate Hook & Ladder) currently has a computer in the truck used for Map and directions throughout the county ie. M/A.

Well of course they don't work right, the tires just fly right off. Oh, you mean the MDTs?

Hey my brakes went the other day and the rpm went up to 6000 and stayed there until I turned the car off.

MDTs? Totally not needed in this county. FDNY has them, yes, but they handle at least twice as many alarms per borough than all of Westchester. If you take out Yonkers, then you have an even smaller number. What we need is to clean up the air a bit, get rid of all the useless radio traffic. Use a fire ground channel for everything other than communicating with the dispatcher.

MDTs? Totally not needed in this county.

Sorry but I'm not inclined to agree with you.

MDTs?  Totally not needed in this county.  FDNY has them, yes, but they handle at least twice as many alarms per borough than all of Westchester.  If you take out Yonkers, then you have an even smaller number.  What we need is to clean up the air a bit, get rid of all the useless radio traffic.  Use a fire ground channel for everything other than communicating with the dispatcher.

For the reasons you suggest, an MDT can actually be beneficial to clean up the air.

An MDT can be used to call 10-17, 10-19, 10-8, etc. It can be used to see what the other units status is, and find out where everybody is and what they are doing. It can be used to relay CIDS information, premise history, contact information, Knoxbox locations, etc etc. You can view maps and satelitte images of the area the incident is in, view floorplans, etc. You can view weather conditions, and message other units. It can be be used for firefighter accountability. Additionally, it can be used to obtain incident history, times, and even complete a run report.......all in real-time.

An MDT is extremly beneficial, whether you do 1 or 1 million runs a year.

It can be used to see what the other units status is, and find out where everybody is and what they are doing. It can be used to relay CIDS information, premise history, contact information, Knoxbox locations, etc etc. You can view maps and satelitte images of the area the incident is in, view floorplans, etc. You can view weather conditions, and message other units. It can be be used for firefighter accountability. Additionally, it can be used to obtain incident history, times, and even complete a run report.......all in real-time.

Now if only WEMS didn't have the Ghetto version that only did location/nature and enable you to call signals and emergencies. I'd LOVE to be albe to see system status and history on the MDTs. At least the system we have is upgradable. :-k

When it comes to MDT's I don't look at on how many calls but how many units we have out there. When things are a little nuts and there are a lot of units on the road this is where the problem is.

"I'm trying to put in the 10-92, and the MDT won't take it" To echo Toms' comments, can't think of how many times I've heard that one.

Well most of the time that is the safety feature of the Starfire system. On the FDNY EMS MDT's when the bus gets on scene they can make it unfounded and leave. However SOP's states they must contact the dispatcher for more information and a call back.

FDNY Fire took this to another step.. If the dispatch enters more information the MDT's won't take the false alarm. So if the first call states fire at 42/5 and then the second call states small fire on the roof of 400 5th av. Keeps the unit from leaving the scene.

how much would this cost per rig though

It all would depend on how it was done. To me if you can purchase things like CD changers and XM radios and spend 1.2mil on a rig. You might be able to find money for something that could be used toward firefighting and EMS.

Computers suck....except for the one I use to log into EMTBRAVO of course!! lol

words have it that FDMV will be getting them in 2025!

words have it that FDMV will be getting them in 2025!

And they will be a 386 with DOS. lol

And they will be a 386 with DOS. lol

[geek]Heck, thats not a bad little machine. I know of 386 boxen doing more with Linux than some Windows machines. :-> Now gimme an old 8086 with CPM on it, now THATS Ghetto.[/geek]

i sorry for being an idiot but what are MDT'S and what are the perpose #-o #-o #-o #-o #-o

ems-buff asked i sorry for being an idiot but what are MDT'S and what are the perpose d'oh!

Moblie Data Terminal MDT

White Plains FD has a radio / computer system that gives the status of the apparatus to the dispatcher. Mobile Radios are used to transmit a signal that goes to dispatch when a button is pressed on arrival , in service ect...

Greenbugh PD has had difffent type of computer in the cars which give the status for about 20 years.When a car arrives at a call the officer simply presses the "at scene" button.

Fairview FD computers show the exact location of each house number on every street and every HYDRANT location with reguards to the alarm location.Garden Apt complex layout and Commerical occupancies floor plan including Boiler rooms ,elevator shafts.These running cards were made "in house" and are costantly being updated and corrected as new houses are being built everywhere in G'burgh.