Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
x635

Bedford Hills Mayday

8 posts in this topic

As many know, there was a Mayday transmitted at the Bedford Hills FD structure fire last night when a plaster lathe ceiling collapsed onto the firefighters working underneath and trapping them, some for several minutes requiring FAST intervention. There was minutes of sheer terror, but thanks to the knowledge, bravery, and heroics of those involved in their immediate rescue, they all survived with relatively minor injuries but what I can only imagine will be lasting emotional scars.

I won't get into any more specifics then above, I only will if BHFD makes a public statement or wants to say something on here or their website. I ask that you don't speculate, discuss or question at this point, if you want to say something, this thread is just show your support. Those involved deserve their privacy right now while they recover.

I just wanted to express my thoughts and prayers to all the members of BHFD, and wish a speedy recovery to all those involved.

LoHud article: http://www.lohud.com/story/news/local/westchester/bedford/2014/03/15/three-alarm-fire-guts-bedford-hills-home-firefighters-injured/6455217/

I can't imagine, I'm glad it turned out for the best.

According the the Incident report, Goldens Bridge responded with their tanker. I'm sure it must have been a 'satisfying' feeling to be able to return the assistance they received in their time of need.

fire2141 likes this

Without going into the details of this incident, a number of items should be re-evaluated in many depts. based on this incident.

It is very easy for a routine incident to go bad very quickly.

Many depts. do not have adequate trained interior firefighters both operating AND in staging (to be available when things go bad).

FAST teams in many cases are only capable of dealing with 1 or 2 firefighter maydays, what's your back up plan?

Lucky in this case, we will not be learning the lessons from a NIOSH report, but this will happen again here or some other community, lets look into how we prevent a tragedy in the future.

BFD1054 and 99subi like this

Without going into the details of this incident, a number of items should be re-evaluated in many depts. based on this incident.

It is very easy for a routine incident to go bad very quickly.

Many depts. do not have adequate trained interior firefighters both operating AND in staging (to be available when things go bad).

FAST teams in many cases are only capable of dealing with 1 or 2 firefighter maydays, what's your back up plan?

Lucky in this case, we will not be learning the lessons from a NIOSH report, but this will happen again here or some other community, lets look into how we prevent a tragedy in the future.

The sad truth is you are right. Career or volunteer, we all need to step back and look at ourselves. Are we actually prepared for the worst case scenario? Thankfully this time there was no loss of life, but I fear the next time.

I send my wishes for a speedy recovery to the injured fire fighters. Thank god you guys are still with us.

Stay safe