Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
x635

Mount Vernon To Break Ground For New Emergency Operations Center

11 posts in this topic

The only reason they are doing this is because they got a grant. Let's see how they screw this one up. Maybe MVFD will benefit and actually get working heat!

Mount Vernon Mayor Ernest D. Davis and other officials will break ground for the City’s first official Emergency Operations Center (EOC) On Thursday, April 3, 2014.at 11 a.m. at the Griffith and Valentino Firehouse (Station 3) located at 50 West Third Street.

FULL ARTICLE: http://www.mvinquirer.com/emergency-operations-center.html

TimesUp likes this

The firehouse is 36 years old, and was built on a landfill. The building is sinking, and weeds are growing through the cracks. I suspect the FD just took the grant just to repair the roof.

TimesUp likes this

We got relocated there a while back. Couldn't figure out how to open the doors.....we were later informed they were broken. So we had to leave the truck running to keep the pump from freezing-and in that area someone with it. We managed to get into the firehouse after a DPW guy showed up to go to the bathroom, but he didn't know anything about the doors and said the building maintenance guy was on vacation. We were also surprised to see most guys sleep in makeshift areas on the first floor...must like to sleep with the rats and other vermin we saw running across the floor.

When one of the engines got back, they opened the door manually. We felt pretty stupid, but they say that's pretty much the routine.

Does Mount Vernon get any money at all? Where did the money come from for those 3 Pierces they bought a few years back? And I thought they were correcting all the firehouse issues?

Getting back on topic, the Mayor actually walks in the firehouse and finds it acceptable? I have a friend who works down there, before the roof repair said there was mold all over the second floor. If it's actually sinking, what is being done about that?

We got relocated there a while back. Couldn't figure out how to open the doors.....we were later informed they were broken. So we had to leave the truck running to keep the pump from freezing-and in that area someone with it. We managed to get into the firehouse after a DPW guy showed up to go to the bathroom, but he didn't know anything about the doors and said the building maintenance guy was on vacation. We were also surprised to see most guys sleep in makeshift areas on the first floor...must like to sleep with the rats and other vermin we saw running across the floor.

When one of the engines got back, they opened the door manually. We felt pretty stupid, but they say that's pretty much the routine.

LMAO!!! But all is good, just ask Uncle Ernie!

You'd think the city would find another place for a firehouse. I'm sure they could get federal grant money since I'm betting it can be classified as a superfund site....I can only imagine what's underneath that building.

I can't find the words......I can't believe they are putting the EOC there. But in 10 minutes, they'll forget about it, it will fall apart, and the Mayor will have no clue what to do in an emergency except to make sure his secret stash is safe.

FirNaTine likes this

Did they ever fix the floor at the Oak St Station I believe it's Station 4? shouldn't they be worrying about that? I believe 2 Engines use to roll out of there and that's why they are down to 4 now instead of 5. Just another reason for always requesting m/a. Whose running that f*** shop over there?

TimesUp likes this

From a January News 12 quote from Mayor Ernie Davis

However, the mayor says the increase was needed in order to keep the city of Mount Vernon running in fiscally tight times. "Fire service, police and DPW … if you make cuts, you start losing your middle class," says Mayor Ernie Davis.

WHAT MIDDLE CLASS?!?!

Good luck with all the "technology" in the new "state of the art" EOC, but let's see how you get your broken down trucks and lack of proper gear and equipment there with a fancy computer before your 2nd floor EOC is located in the basement. At least the guys will eventually get underground parking, which will be nice on snowy days not having to clear your car after shift.

I'd also like to add in the I fully support the guys in MVFD but I hate the conditions they are forced to work in. The funny part is, they are some of the best and most experienced in Westchester (most of them).

TimesUp likes this

While cleaning out some old E-mails I found this press release:

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE: June 19, 2009

SENATORS SCHUMER AND GILLIBRAND SECURE $1 MILLION FOR MOUNT VERNON TO CONSTRUCT MULTI FUNCTIONAL EMERGENCY OPERATIONS CENTER

Funding Will Renovate Existing Fire Station to Serve as Emergency Operations Center in Mount Vernon
New Operations Center Will Enable Emergency Personnel to Respond to Multiple Disasters Quickly and Effectively
Schumer, Gillibrand Secured Federal Funds As Part Of The 2010 Appropriations Bill

U.S. Senators Charles E. Schumer and Kirsten Gillibrand today announced that the full Senate Appropriations Committee has approved the Department of Homeland Security FY10 Appropriations Bill which includes $1 million for Mount Vernon to reconfigure, renovate and construct a Fire Station as the City's Emergency Operations Center. Approval by the Committee is the largest hurdled the funding needs to clear. The bill will now proceed to the Senate Floor as the next step in the appropriations process. Schumer and Gillibrand worked closely with members of the Appropriations Committee to include funding for the project in the 2010 spending bill.

“Residents in Mount Vernon and across Westchester County deserve top-notch emergency services, which is why it’s vital that we provide our emergency personnel with a base of operations from which they can respond to any incident,” said Schumer. “A functioning Emergency Operations Center will streamline emergency response services across the city to make sure that our first responders can act quickly and respond efficiently when we need their help the most.”

“There is nothing more important than the safety of our communities and families,” Senator Gillibrand said. “We need to make sure Mt. Vernon’s first responders are equipped with the right facilities and all the resources they need to do their jobs and keep our families safe when emergencies strike. I will work with Senator Schumer and the entire Congressional Delegation to make sure New York gets its fair share from the federal government.”

Currently, the City of Mount Vernon does not have an Emergency Operations Center for the managing and mitigation of a major accident. During emergency situations, the city can use the Mount Vernon Police Department’s Field Command Center vehicle, but this greatly hampers police operations and the ability to manage a multi agency incident.

The funds that were secured by Senators Schumer and Gillibrand in the 2010 Appropriations Bill will be used to renovate and construct an existing fire station to be used as the city’s Emergency Operation Center. The facility will accommodate emergency personnel throughout the city who will be able to respond to multiple emergencies such as floods, fires and crime. Schumer and Gillibrand noted that utilizing an existing facility within the city is cost effective and a wise investment in the health and safety of Mount Vernon residents.

Now that the appropriations bill has been approved by the full Senate Appropriations Committee, it will be sent to the Senate floor. Following approval by the Senate, the bill will move towards Conference with the House and then to the President for signature

Disaster_Guy likes this

That just shows that neither one of them have a effen clue as to whats going on in Mt.Vernon. Its just I will get you some money then its "HEY EVERYBODY LOOK WHAT I DID" and dont forget to vote.

Edited by PHIL78
FirNaTine likes this

One big waste of Taxpayers money! Especially going to that City!