Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
x635

Suicide

9 posts in this topic

Granted, Robin Williams death was tragic. He was a great man. However, there are numerous Soldiers, Firefighters, Law Enforcement Officers, Paramedics, EMT's, Dispatchers and just regular people that also are great people from all walks of life that commit suicide everyday and it goes unnoticed that there is an epidemic that has been going on for a long time. Many of us know people who ended their own life and only realized the signs and the fact that they should have done something after it was too late.

And because a celebrity takes his own life, it gets noticed and all of a sudden, it's a big deal and everyone is talking about how people should help people contemplating suicide and their should be more attention given to the issue. But the fact of the matter is, once the Robin Williams media circus calms down, people will again forget about this silent killer and the stigma that prevents many from seeking help will return. People don't understand that suicide prevention is not something simple or easy to do.

It's disgusting the way some EMS workers and Police Officers treat and label "EDP's"....even that term is wrong and hurtful, and I feel that contributes to many people in emergency services not seeking help. I also believe they fear being shunned for the rest of their careers should it make it to the gossip circuit or the kitchen table. There are some cruel people in our business who enjoy seeing their peers suffer.

On a lager scale, our mental health and wellness care system is understaffed, underfunded, and unable to give people true tools to succeed in many cases. This is not something that's going to be or can be solved by giving people antidepressants.

Contemplating suicide is a deep and dark place to be, and, in most situations, all it takes is one friend who truly cares to save a life. Sadly, there will always be people who lose all hope for their lives, feel very alone and uncared about in that moment, and don't see another way out or a path towards a happy future, and nobody will or can intervene at that point. In most cases, suicide is not an impulsive act.

GAW6, FirNaTine, 16fire5 and 2 others like this

I always felt it was a permanent solution to a temporary problem. However, for those in that dark place, the problems don't seem so temporary.

I don't condone it but I can understand it.

sueg, x635 and GAW6 like this

It wouldn't be that much different if he died of cancer or a heart attack. His fame as an actor and comedian is what's driving most of the attention and over time it will subside and eventually almost everyone will just forget. Just like they forget other tragedies and even events like 9/11. It's just human nature.

As for the term "emotionally disturbed person", why is that wrong or hurtful. It's an accurate description used to characterize people's behavior and/or symptoms. What's the alternative? Is this just a "PC" response?

sueg likes this

I don't think EDP is a pejorative or derogatory term either. Especially when you consider how the term came about. Also, like velcroMedic said, what is the alternative term? "mentally ill person" that isn't accurate as there are people who display emotional disturbance because of medical conditions (TBI, brain tumors etc) or developmental disabilities or extreme stress that don't meet the criteria to be termed "mentally ill."

As far as why emergency services personnel are hesitant to seek help, I think it has a lot more to do with the very real negative consequences on the job (i.e. desk duty, rubber gun squad, forced retirement, problems when taking psych evals for other jobs down the line). I'm not sure how to fix the issues with this though.

To the broader issue of an ineffective mental health system, there is an answer to that, just not one anyone wants to hear (increased use of hospitializations and institutionalizations of severely or dangerously ill persons)

You guys make a good point. EDP is the accurate term, I can't think of another word to concisely describe it. I just feel it's implied by some as being derogatory and judgments are made without truly knowing what's going on in a persons life. This doesn't hold true with all EMS workers and LEO's, but I've seen my fair share of people who have been mistreated being in EMS for 15 years now.

And, just because you can't see emotional wounds doesn't mean that they are not there. Not all illnesses can be seen. Many people don't seek help because of the stigma of mental illness. Sometimes people are hurting so bad you have to do more then preach to them a message. We talk about "brotherhood", but when someone is hurting are we going to remember or assume the stigma associated with EDP's or remember that brotherhood? How many people think that someone can easily just "get over it" or that it's something they can control? How many people have died because of that?

The NYPD began to use the term "Emotionally Disturbed Person" back in the mid-late '70s.

The reasoning was that while at a call, the officers and dispatchers of the time, would refer to "EDP's" as "psychos". The call would be put over the radio using the term "psycho". Every one in the area, cops, victim, passerby would hear this.

The NYPD began to use the term "EDP", figuring it sounded much better than the previous term they were using.

I went on the NYPD in 1981. I remember when I was new, a few old-timers that would occasionally slip back in time and use the term "psycho" while at a job or even on the radio.

Prior to TV shows like "NYPD Blue" or "Law and Order", I would doubt that anyone outside of Police/Fire/EMS personnel, would even know what the term "EDP" was if they heard it.

Edited by 10512
x635 likes this

Some quick useful info to offer to your membership.

Mike Blackburn from Providence and Mike Healey from Rockland have been working on a National Fire Service Members Assistance Program.

http://www.treatmentsolutions.com/national-fire-services-member-assistance-program/

This is a topic that seems not to be addressed and unfortunetly our brothers and sisters don't know where to turn.

x635 likes this

It's disgusting the way some EMS workers and Police Officers treat and label "EDP's"....even that term is wrong and hurtful, and I feel that contributes to many people in emergency services not seeking help. I also believe they fear being shunned for the rest of their careers should it make it to the gossip circuit or the kitchen table. There are some cruel people in our business who enjoy seeing their peers suffer.

How do EMS/PD treat EDP's that's disgusting?

I think the fact that a very likeable celebrity so accomplished took his own life actually draws awareness to the problem. I hear people say "man he had everything why would he do that?". They obviously have no clue what is up.

When you say "There are some cruel people in our business who enjoy seeing their peers suffer." I really don't believe that mindset is pervasive in emergency services anymore than general public in fact most people in emergency services have very big hearts. I think for the most part most firefighters want to help their brothers (and sisters too). The complexity is really differentiating the signs of someone that's just down from someone who is an honest danger to themselves.