Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
x635

Federal Jurisdiction On A Fed-Involved Vehicle MVA

6 posts in this topic

If a federal vehicle, let's take a US Army troop carrier truck, crashes on an interstate highway, who has jurisdiction over the scene and investigation?

And I've heard the mail truck joke before....

The initial response, report and investigation would be whatever Police Agency covered the location of the accident.

Some agencies have their own police, such as the VA. They may do a follow-up accident report in addition to the municipal report.

But the actual "report" will be the local report.

Dinosaur likes this

If a federal vehicle, let's take a US Army troop carrier truck, crashes on an interstate highway, who has jurisdiction over the scene and investigation?

And I've heard the mail truck joke before....

The local or State police agency agency typically handles the investigation. Often the federal agency involved responds to handle a parallel investigation. If the federal agency operator is charged locally with any crime arising out of the accident, the case can be (but usually is not) removed to federal district court.

Dinosaur and FDNY 10-75 like this

Ok, so how does NCIS and Mr. Harmon then take over every investigation on the show????

How dare you question special agent Leroy jethro Gibbs! Lol.

I was told by a friend who is a federal agent that a federal vehicle involved in an incident would be a joint effort between usually the FBI and the local agency with the locals being lead. His reason was the FBI has bigger things to worrie about other than a traffic collision. Atleast that's how it works with his agency.

Ok, so how does NCIS and Mr. Harmon then take over every investigation on the show????

And why did JAG handle everything before the spin off but we now never see them work a single case?