Flashpoint

Judge frees Phila. Fire Department from race-based hiring

4 posts in this topic

Judge frees Phila. Fire Department from race-based hiring

A 1975 federal consent decree designed to remedy discrimination against blacks in the Philadelphia Fire Department has been dissolved.
FDNY 10-75 and SageVigiles like this

Interesting how different Federal Courts are going in opposite directions, In NY they are forcing more regulations. Eventually the District courts are going to need direction from the Supreme court

SRS131EMTFF likes this

Now if only they can get a federal decree banning those godawful salad bowls... Sorry, I couldn't resist.

Seriously though, big win for merit based hiring. I'd like to see the SCOTUS go a little further than they did in Ricci v. DeStefano in regards to protecting the legitimacy of the hiring process, but for now: a win is a win.

Edited by SageVigiles

If I were an African American, I would be insulted by a court decision that declared that the written and practical exams for the job of firefighter discriminated against people of my race. I worked with many dedicated African American Firefighters during my career and all of them scored high enough on both parts of the exam to be appointed and were proud (justifiably) of their accomplishment. Many went on to pass one or more promotional exams during their careers. The fire service needs only the best of the best (regardless of race, sex or religious beliefs) due to the nature of the job. Candidates who need to be recruited (begged) to come and take a written test that now could easily be passed by a grade school student are a hazard to civilians as well as the Firefighters who are forced to respond to dangerous incidents with them.

ex-commish, voltage1256 and AFS1970 like this