Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
STAT213

Newburgh Layoffs

6 posts in this topic

I don't know enough about NY civil service law so hopefully someone can answer this. Being that they already were hired off a civil service exam, would these firefighters be able to be hired by departments in Westchester or Dutchess without being on the lists there? If not hopefully these guys are on a few lists.

It's a disgrace and the city should be ashamed of itself. Newburgh is already understaffed and this is only going to make it worse.

To expect the feds to continue funding their fire department staffing forever is ludicrous. It was an infusion, a shot in the arm, it wasn't forever.

I hope the displaced FF get jobs elsewhere ASAP!

x635, tglass59, BFD1054 and 1 other like this

I don't know enough about NY civil service law so hopefully someone can answer this. Being that they already were hired off a civil service exam, would these firefighters be able to be hired by departments in Westchester or Dutchess without being on the lists there? If not hopefully these guys are on a few lists.

I don't know either, but Hartsdale hired two of the laid off Long Beach firefighters. Don't know how that works, but some departments do step up to make sure these guys are taken care of and I hope other departments reach out to hire these guys. I went to the academy with a couple of guys from Newburgh and Long Beach, so I know the training is the same.

The situation in Newburgh is ridiculous, and the result of poor planning. Hopefully, funding will come through at the last minute, and Newburgh will figure out a way to sustain this staffing in the future.

BFD1054 and AFS1970 like this

This has been squashed, US Rep. Patrick Maloney has been able to secure FEMA funding to keep the guys on the job.

Kicking the can down the road. Another grant buys them a reprieve nothing more.........

BFD1054 likes this