Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
x635

And This Is Why We Need Bailout Systems......

7 posts in this topic

This happened in China, the firefighter had only minor injuries

nydude2473 likes this

Sorry, but no. Not why we need a bailout system. This is why we need ground ladders placed quickly and efficiently. Among other things.

Looking at that video, there were many things to do before bailing out.

Am I advocating for not having bailout systems, no?

But, that room didn't flash in a matter of seconds. It was free burning and finally got to him. Get to an area of refuge, close a door, do a window hang until the ladder arrives.

Bailouts and survival should be part of our training, but watching that video, my first thought was not, I wished he had a bailout kit. It was, I wished his boys had placed ground ladders like good operators and truckies should. But once that didn't happen...yes...It was time to bail.

Play heads up, don't get caught in the first place..

Edited by STAT213
x635, SECTMB, Morningjoe and 4 others like this

Good point about ground ladder. But I wonder what the truckie culture is in China?

The best way to use your bailout device is to never be in that situation in the first place. The free flowing fire like this one is not the point where you should use a bailout device, rather, like STAT213 said, a ladder could have placed more efficiently regardless of whether a line was being stretched up or the firefighter was coming down. Thankfully our PPE protects us for a short while so we can gain our bearings, make the urgent radio call, and make a safe egress.

Now....Why did this firefighter take off his gloves while he was INSIDE a burning structure?

x635 likes this

The best way to use your bailout device is to never be in that situation in the first place. The free flowing fire like this one is not the point where you should use a bailout device, rather, like STAT213 said, a ladder could have placed more efficiently regardless of whether a line was being stretched up or the firefighter was coming down. Thankfully our PPE protects us for a short while so we can gain our bearings, make the urgent radio call, and make a safe egress.

Now....Why did this firefighter take off his gloves while he was INSIDE a burning structure?

Probably because in training he was allowed to take them off to do things that required better dexterity or ease of operating. Train the way you fight, fight the way you train.

Why they were trying to send a lone FF a hose via a window is yet another question. But we could critique this all day.

The better question is... Could this happen to me?

x635, dwcfireman and Capejake72 like this

If you let it, anything could happen to you. Train hard. Learn. observe.

Don't be THAT guy. Be aware. Play smart.

For those of you outside, throw ladders, protect your boys and girls inside. Report changing conditions. Know what smoke means what. Be a student of the job.

Great points about the ground ladders, and couldn't agree more. That's why I like seeing proactive FAST teams. But sometimes, the bailout system is the last resort, regardless.

I also wonder what kind of facility this is? The first floor looks to have jailhouse type bars on the first floor. And what kind of ground ladders are carried by the first arriving units? I don't know much about the Chinese fire service, but I know some areas of the world, not a lot of ground ladders are carried on the first due rigs. I'd love to know more behind this incident.