x635

Tele-Squirts and Snorkels in Westchester

12 posts in this topic

Which departments in Westchester have operated Tele-Squirts? The only ones I can recall are Fairview and Lake Mohegan. As far as Snorkels, I can only think of Bedford Hills and maybe Mount Vernon? What about the surrounding area? I think maybe Stamford had a Tele-Squirt?

Do you think the Tele-Squirt concept is still relevant in an area like Westchester? How about Snorkels?

Smeal, who now both the brands, is expected to make a big push at FDIC.

(P.S. I know Tele-Squirt is really spelled "Tele-Squrt")

Westfield12 likes this

Cliffside Park NJ (Pierce  Dash ) & Edgewater (KME) both operate  Tele Squrits here in east bergen very good purchases by both depts quite handy  for norrow tight streets in both of theirs boros 

Westfield12 and x635 like this

Mount Vernon FD Snorkel 1. Workhorse of a rig. Worked many major fires during its run in the Vern. This was an era of the FDMV, when Chief Campbell was running the show and they had excellent front line equipment and was running with 6 Engine Companies (plus 2 spares), 1 Snorkel, 3 Truck Companies (plus 1 spare), 1 Rescue, 1 Foam Unit, and 1 Ambulance. Sad how this department has a gone down hill as it relates to manpower and equipment (no wonder they use Mutual Aid like people drink water)

vodoly and Westfield12 like this

Fort Lee NJ Co4 operated an ALF 55 snorkel with 1250/500 in late 70s/80s FL6 was it's unit ID Seen it work a few fires back in the day

21 hours ago, 61MACKBR1 said:

Mount Vernon FD Snorkel 1. Workhorse of a rig. Worked many major fires during its run in the Vern. This was an era of the FDMV, when Chief Campbell was running the show and they had excellent front line equipment and was running with 6 Engine Companies (plus 2 spares), 1 Snorkel, 3 Truck Companies (plus 1 spare), 1 Rescue, 1 Foam Unit, and 1 Ambulance. Sad how this department has a gone down hill as it relates to manpower and equipment (no wonder they use Mutual Aid like people drink water)

Sounds like they were well staffed, but just because they had rigs "in-service" what was the staffing per rig? I'm sure the foam unit was not staffed. And I remember going on EMS calls where the 1st due engine had only 1 or 2 and the rescue was the manpower for every rig.

x635 and vodoly like this