LTNRFD

Providence fire captain critical after leg injury.

7 posts in this topic

Yesterday the Providence FD had a 4th alarm fire when a triple decker caught fire with 45mph winds.  Exposers 2 & 4 became well involved on arrival of first due companies.  The second alarm was struck by the first due engine.   The third alarm was struck on arrival of the battalion chief. 

Both exposures 2 & 4 are houses rented by Providence College students. This has displaced 19 students.  All are seniors that will be graduating in 6 weeks. 

During the interior attack of the attic of exposure 4, a PFD Capt sustained a leg injury.   He was transported to an area hospital where during the evaluation of his leg the Capt's blood pressure bottomed out.  He was admitted to the ICU in critical condition.  He was intubated.  He was diagnosed as suffering from cyanid poisoning.   

Of the 21 firefighters injured at this and one other multiple alarm fire just as the first was winding down, one other was diagnosed with cyanid poisoning.   8 firefighters who were working in the same area as the Capt are being monitored for cyanid exposure. 

http://m.wcvb.com/news/firefighter-critically-injured-battling-heavy-fire-in-providence/38794022

image.jpeg

JOB114 likes this

As I recall Providence Fire and their Health and Safety group of their Union was on the forefront of ensuring firefighters and fire victims were evaluated and treated for cyanide poisoning due to its presence in most structure fires. Hopes and prayers for the Capt and other Brother's at PFD. 

Edited by antiquefirelt
vodoly, fdalumnus and EmsFirePolice like this

Praying for a speedy recovery 

Thank you "LTNRFD" for reporting this story.

The day of this incident there were TWO separate major fires within hours of each other. Each in large 3 1/2 story frames and involving the close exposures on an extremely windy day.

The first major fire was on Eaton St which went to a General Alarm (above a Fifth Alarm). The second major fire only a few hours later was on Laurel Hill Ave and went to a Fourth Alarm. I have been a buff chasing the Providence Fire Dept for about 40 years and I never remember a day like that. Except for maybe in the 1980s when the Fourth of July nights used to go crazy catching several building fires. But nothing like these two major jobs within hours of each other. In addition, I was told by a member of that department with 21 years on the job, he never remembers a day like that either.

The City of Providence, R.I.  with a population of about 170,000 people operates 14 Engines, 8 Ladders, 1 Heavy Rescue, along with 7 Ambulances. They are one of the busiest departments in New England.

Many mutual aid companies were called into Providence from the surrounding cities and towns. They have had a very good mutual aid system in place for many years in that area.

I met Fire Captain Fontaine of Ladder Co 1 about three months ago. He is a Great guy and into the job. The day of this event, the union president reported that he is in critical condition in the ICU at Rhode Island Hospital.

Edited by nfd2004
lad45der likes this

One of the interesting points of this fire was the statement that the union president made and antiquefirelt touched on.   PFD has a protocol that if the members are suffering from smoke inhalation they automatically receive the cyanid antidote.   They felt that too many times members and the public, that have smoke inhalation, may very well have been exposed to cyanid as a product of combustion. 

Cyanid can do more harm faster than the  diagnosis can be made in larger doses.  

News reports that the Capt was being seen in the ER and his vitals crashed.   If not for the fact he was in the ER, there may have been a different outcome.   

This may explain some of the sudden deaths of healthy individuals after fires.  I have never heard of anyone job related having cyanid in their system at autopsy, but is it ever looked for?  

The building the Capt was in was the attic of college off campus housing.  I don't think there would be much hazardous materials in that attic.  

fire2141 likes this

There are many more serious issues going on within the ranks of the Providence F.D. They are currently understaffed by about 25 % of their entire department. An entire shift. The mayor of Providence illegally broke their contract between the firefighters and the city by ORDERING these firefighters to go from a 42 hour work week to a 56 hour work week. Many senior firefighters and officers have left as a result of this. There is mandatory orderback and guys are just wiped out.

I know of one firefighter who told me he worked 103 hours. Another worked 83 hours. And that is the "norm" NOT the exception. Physically they can't do it anymore. Several younger members have decided to leave the job creating even more of a problem.

Currently, I believe this problem is in the hands of the courts. But it's going to take time. Even if that were to be settled today, it is going to take time. I don't think there is any active hiring list and it has been that all new firefighters attend a very long, intensive probie school which includes operation of all apparatus as well. Also, that training now takes place in the City of Boston as the training building has been condemned in Providence.  

The moral within the department is horrible. As a buff for about 40 years, it has never been this bad. They are one of the busiest departments in New England and they also run seven ambulances throughout the city. I have never seen any department face conditions like this. Yet they continue to provide fire protection and medical response without hesitation. They are beyond what I would call a group of dedicated firefighters.

And as I understand it, this all happened because they did NOT endorse this current mayor. A mayor that had the balls to show up at these fires wearing a white fire department bunker coat.

In an effort to try and relieve the problem this is what is being done. (hope the link works)

http://wpri.com/2016/04/01/seeking-80-new-firefighters-providence-pleads-case-for-massive-federal-grant/