Dinosaur

Proper PPE for Firefighting

15 posts in this topic

We spend oodles of money to make sure every FF has proper structural firefighting gear.  Some departments go so far as to provide two sets to allow for cleaning, etc.

Why then, do we continue to wear the wrong or no PPE at all when fighting brush fires????

Am I the only one this bothers?  Isn't a couple hundred bucks worth the expense to properly protect our people?

x635, Capejake72, AFS1970 and 2 others like this

Are you talking about structural PPE for brush fire fighting?

x635 likes this

Yes. Wearing structural PPE (bunker gear) or not wearing any PPE while fighting large wind swept brush fires. 

x635 and dwcfireman like this

13 hours ago, Dinosaur said:

We spend oodles of money to make sure every FF has proper structural firefighting gear.  Some departments go so far as to provide two sets to allow for cleaning, etc.

Why then, do we continue to wear the wrong or no PPE at all when fighting brush fires????

Am I the only one this bothers?  Isn't a couple hundred bucks worth the expense to properly protect our people?

Agreed, but it's approximately $650 per responder

x635 likes this

1 hour ago, Bnechis said:

But, what is the cost of lost firefighter productivity due to increased exhaustion of heavy and unnecessary structural turnout gear and the strains it adds to a firefighter? I believe LAFD did a study, I'm trying to find it. Most departments out West, and it's actually spreading nationwide, are equipping their firefighters with proper wildland gear. If some departments can afford a fancy brush truck, they can afford proper brush truck PPE.

2 hours ago, Bnechis said:

Is it? What's that include because most of what I've seen comes in at substantially less than that. 

x635 likes this

14 hours ago, Dinosaur said:

Yes. Wearing structural PPE (bunker gear) or not wearing any PPE while fighting large wind swept brush fires. 

I know.  This is a good question.  From what I see as the norm right now is that firefighters will wear their full PPE and carry the necessary equipment deep into the woods, just to strip off the jacket because it's hot and firefighters get tired from the weight.  But, then again, we're not preparing ourselves for these large brush fires, rather the big structure fires (however, brush fires are just as common in rural and semi-subruban areas, and will become more common than structure fires as building codes and safety regulations further reduce the number of structural fires).  Should we spend more money and provide wildland PPE?  It's not a bad idea....the problem is money.

Regardless of cost and what we're doing now, I think, and generally speaking, a lot of trends on the west coast (firefighting wise) have eventually made their ways across the nation, i.e. bunker pants.  I would believe that at some point in the future east coast departments will at least have "universal" sets of wildland PPE for firefighters to respond to brush fires with.

7 hours ago, Dinosaur said:

Is it? What's that include because most of what I've seen comes in at substantially less than that. 

NFPA compliant wildland PPE: pants,coat, boots, gloves, helmet and face shield. I just added up the average costs for each from one of the equipment catalogs.

9 hours ago, dwcfireman said:

I know.  This is a good question.  From what I see as the norm right now is that firefighters will wear their full PPE and carry the necessary equipment deep into the woods, just to strip off the jacket because it's hot and firefighters get tired from the weight.  But, then again, we're not preparing ourselves for these large brush fires, rather the big structure fires (however, brush fires are just as common in rural and semi-subruban areas, and will become more common than structure fires as building codes and safety regulations further reduce the number of structural fires).  Should we spend more money and provide wildland PPE?  It's not a bad idea....the problem is money.

Regardless of cost and what we're doing now, I think, and generally speaking, a lot of trends on the west coast (firefighting wise) have eventually made their ways across the nation, i.e. bunker pants.  I would believe that at some point in the future east coast departments will at least have "universal" sets of wildland PPE for firefighters to respond to brush fires with.

The problem is NOT money in most departments - at least in this area.  The problem is prioritization and management.  I could go on and on about shaving 150K from the price of a ladder that's 1.5 feet bigger than the one two houses over (cause you know, ours has to be bigger) but I won't.  I could say spend a little bit less on "extra-curricular activities" and buy the PPE your guys need. 

$50-75K would outfit 100 guys.  That's not a significant expense when you consider the fund balances a lot of these departments are sitting on (or were sitting on) and a city could budget for this over 3 years with little impact on an O&M budget.

It's just a matter of someone saying "we need to do this".  I'd prefer that over someone getting hurt, sick or worse because they're not wearing the right PPE or any PPE at all.

4 hours ago, Bnechis said:

NFPA compliant wildland PPE: pants,coat, boots, gloves, helmet and face shield. I just added up the average costs for each from one of the equipment catalogs.

You can't wear the same boots and helmet? 

Just curious.

What if...stay with me on this one...departments purchased a bunch of sets of wildland gear for the department, but not for everyone?  I think it's a nominal idea that a department could at least buy 5 or 6 sets  (at a minimum) of wildland gear that would fit a majority of the personnel for brush fires.  What do the masses think about having wildland gear around for personnel to use WHEN they need to, and FOR the personnel that are there?  (Think similarly to water rescue suits)

Dinosaur likes this

grants are available from your state Forestry agency for Wildland PPE, either to purchase or to acquire from Federal stocks,

On April 22, 2016 at 10:30 AM, Dinosaur said:

The problem is NOT money in most departments - at least in this area.  The problem is prioritization and management.  I could go on and on about shaving 150K from the price of a ladder that's 1.5 feet bigger than the one two houses over (cause you know, ours has to be bigger) but I won't.  I could say spend a little bit less on "extra-curricular activities" and buy the PPE your guys need. 

$50-75K would outfit 100 guys.  That's not a significant expense when you consider the fund balances a lot of these departments are sitting on (or were sitting on) and a city could budget for this over 3 years with little impact on an O&M budget.

It's just a matter of someone saying "we need to do this".  I'd prefer that over someone getting hurt, sick or worse because they're not wearing the right PPE or any PPE at all.

You can't wear the same boots and helmet? 

Just curious.

If the boots are lace up yes, pull ups are questionable 

and the helmet for structural does not have a face shield for filtering smoke like a wildland one does

Given the brush fire season we've had, we owe ourselves at least the opportunity to learn about what's out there, and how we can better perform given appropriate gear. 

A new thread talks about a $2500 face mask equipped with built-in TIC and people are lining up to demo it.  I'm willing to bet there will be dozens in the Hudson Valley before the end of the year.

Meanwhile the OFPC allowed firefighters to go out in jeans and t-shirts to fight the wildfire in the Shawangunk Mountains this past week to work alongside forest rangers and parks crews wearing Nomex and carrying fire shelters.  Did the local FD crews have fire shelters?  Nope. 

We have to get our priorities straight!

http://www.recordonline.com/photogallery/TH/20160428/PHOTOGALLERY/428009998/PH/1

x635 likes this