Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
x242Steve

Numerical Coincidences

19 posts in this topic

It is often confusing when Rye and Hawthorne are on the air at the same time, since our Engines are 191 and 192, and their Chiefs are 2191, 2192, etc...

Any other cases of this type of numerical coincidence?

Putman Valley's tanker and Somers FD's chief.

24-4-1 and 2441.

Sometimes when Hawthorne says 2191, it sounds like Dobbs Ferry 2091. Using "oh" instead of Zero.

If people would just use their full identifiers once in a while, then less problems would arise.

For example, there is an Engine 23, Tower Ladder 23, Rescue 23, Mini-Attack 23, Marine 23......so if you get on and call "23" who is going to answer?!

If "2191" and "191" are confusing, why not say "Engine 191?" (JUST AN EXAMPLE, DON'T GET PISSED!!!)

Who exactly is saying "81 to 83." Could be us, or it could be 2181 & 2183, 2281 & 2283, 2381 & 2383, 2481 & 2483, 2581 & 2583 or even 2181 to 2483........use the whole designator, they're there for a reason.

I have heard Ardsley, which has its own frequency, use the IDs, (20)"11" and (20)"12", as well as "64" and "65" instead of the much lengthier "Engine 164" and "Engine 165".

much lengthier

A whole 3 sylables more. There is no reason not to use complete proper identifies. It does not "save time" by shortening them. It makes you repeat more times so everyone knows who is talking

Inter county ops can be tricky when radio users don't properly annunciate their ID.

In Putnam--there are hyphens for a reason

24-1-3 is pronounced--twentyfour one three--not two four one three.

We have matching units in Westchester if we do that also

Purchase chief's 2411,2412,2413

Putnam Valley chief's 24-1-1,24-1-2,24-1-3

City of rye chiefs(I think) 2421,2422,2423

Putnam Valley Engines 24-2-1,24-2-2,24-2-3

Scarsdale Chief's 2431,2432

Putnam Valley Brush 234-3-1,24-3-2

Somers Chiefs 2441,2442,2443

PV Tankers 24-4-1,24-4,2

Tarrytown Chiefs 2461,2462,2463

PV Rescue 24-6-1

Valhalla Chiefs 2481,2482,2483

PV Utility 24-8-1,24-8-2

There are othersin the county that cross up IF THEY ARE NOT PROPERLY ANNUNCIATE

Take the extra few seconds and be sure you are understood and recognized!!!

Exactly the reason I used the "on scene" designator of "water supply" instead of 2441, while operating with 24-4-1 at a structure fire in Mahopac Falls.

While operating at an incident, and using NIMS, Chiefs and/or Command Officers should have an assigned fireground designator, instead of using thier car number. Try it, it works!

I have had many times heard 61 to 62, tarrytown on the bridge or up on the knolls blast us in port chester, using half car #s and thinking it was eng 61 to eng 62

Ed--I agree with you on that--it does work well. We do have the IC designated as IC 24 but after that--is where we start to drift--we should have designations for all--especially if we are inter county.

EJS I was being quite sarcastic in calling those terms "much lengthier". I am sorry that sarcasm cannot be expressed wholeheartedly online.

Exactly the reason I used the "on scene" designator of "water supply" instead of 2441, while operating with 24-4-1 at a structure fire in Mahopac Falls.

While operating at an incident, and using NIMS, Chiefs and/or Command Officers should have an assigned fireground designator, instead of using thier car number.  Try it, it works!

Since you are working in a another county why not use the term "Westchester Car 2441" then there won't be an issue for you when you cross the county line. Even if you begin to use firegound designators you still need to establish who you are when you take on that role, i.e. Westchester Car 2441 10-19 in Mahopac Falls taking over water supply. Boom now you are Water Supply. Till you need to go 10-8 then you call in again as Westchester Car 2441. One again all it is, is 3 additional sylabyls yes and I'm you are all checking right now too....West-Ches-ter.

There is also occasionally confusion when someone calls 60 control using just "60", for us members of engine 60. It moreoften happens when we radio engine 60 to 60 control they sometimes need to ask to repeat the id.

There is also occasionally confusion when someone calls 60 control using just "60", for us members of engine 60.  It moreoften happens when we radio engine 60 to 60 control they sometimes need to ask to repeat the id.

People should identify their dept. name before their numbers, ie.. Hawthorne 2191 to 6o control, Valhalla 2481, Ardsley engine 165 to who ever . This way it will cut down on any confusion. But to many people take short cuts and try to sound cute.

People should identify their dept. name before their numbers, ie.. Hawthorne 2191 to 6o control, Valhalla 2481, Ardsley engine 165 to who ever . This way it will cut down on any confusion. But to many people take short cuts and try to sound cute.

Umm, no they shouldn't They'd be redundant and waste airtime

There's only one 2191, only one Engine 164, etc. When speaking on the radio professionally and cleary, there should be no confusion. You say ENGINE 191, not 191, etc. Car TWO ONE NINE ONE, etc.

Of course, a modern day radio system would have unit identifiers come up on the dispatchers screen when they call, and vice versa in the field.

Edited by x635

Do you think it would be helpful to include the department name before transmitting your identified when operating with units from outside our county? How do people recommend/deal with inter-county operations when there are multiple units that may have the same designation?

Umm, no they shouldn't They'd be redundant and waste airtime

Well , it appears to be a problem for some people, and I only made a sugestion

on how to solve the problem, I don't think it would be redundent and a waste of air time. Not everybody is a BUFF and knows every dept. number and if you have to keep saying repeat message or unit identify that's the waste of time.

I know that sometimes when Thornwood gets a commercial alarm at 1075 Broadway, 60 control says 10-75 Brodway, the 10-75 gets the heart pumping...

Well , it appears to be a problem for  some people, and  I only made a sugestion

on how to solve the problem, I don't think it would be redundent and a waste of air time. Not everybody is a BUFF and knows every dept. number and if you have to keep saying repeat message or unit identify that's the waste of time.

I understand you just made a suggestion , and I am replying to you with my opinion on that suggestion.

First of all, not everybody is a "buff", you are correct. Some are educated professionals that know the department numbers they need to know...though it could be easier if we identified by a station number.

Also, the "repeat message" and "unit reidentify" you speak of...that is mainly because of radio traffic congestion on 46.26 and people who don't speak clearly on the radio.

It's my opinion that it would turn 46.26 into even more of a cluster then it already is if we had to add a redundant word to every transmission. Again, there is only ONE Engine 164, and that's Ardsley. Why would you add 2-3 seconds to that transmission by adding a word that's already there? Just like when I call "45-M-1 10-17". I don't say "Northern Westchester Hospital 45-M-1 10-17" because my identifier states that itself, and there's no need to repeat myself and add to the radio congestion.