x635

Switzerland tells slightly tipsy volunteer firefighters: Cheers!

6 posts in this topic

I can't tell if this is satire, but it is on Reuters which is a international news outlet....

Switzerland is easing an alcohol ban for volunteer firefighters and other emergency workers using heavy vehicles, saying it had led to staffing shortages when crises demanded quick action, especially in smaller towns lacking professional personnel.

Starting on Jan. 1, slightly tipsy volunteer firefighters and off-duty members of so-called professional "blue light" organizations responding to urgent situations will be no longer face punishment - provided their blood-alcohol level does not exceed 0.50 percent, the limit governing other drivers.

http://mobile.reuters.com/article/idUSKCN12Q1B0

dwcfireman, BBBMF and Westfield12 like this

I don't know how I feel about this.  On one hand, you gain a few extra personnel in those small communities to come to the rescue, but on the other you have responders that are tipsy and are slightly impaired.  Granted, the majority of people (especially in Europe) have no ill-effect from one or two adult beverages, but there are a few people who react much differently to alcohol.  One person can be absolutely fine where another can be a bit lightheaded, or in some instances, drunk off of two drinks.

Then again, this isn't too dissimilar to our accepted practices here in the States.  Many departments, and I'm talking about those smaller communities, allow their members to have one or two and still respond.  It allows the departments to gain a few extra bodies whereas they wouldn't if they had a zero tolerance policy.

My only concern is that the policy includes " using heavy vehicles". Switzerland is not exactly the wide open spaces like Montana. I guess they have different liability laws there. 

dwcfireman and bfd1144 like this

On 10/28/2016 at 3:58 PM, SOUSGT said:

My only concern is that the policy includes " using heavy vehicles". Switzerland is not exactly the wide open spaces like Montana. I guess they have different liability laws there. 

Just looking at the term "heavy vehicles" in general....If you get caught driving a commercial vehicle with ANY alcohol in your system, it's an automatic DUI and license suspension.  So why should it be different hen driving fire apparatus?  I really hope that the Swiss incorporate rules or regulations (whether at the national or local level) to prevent firefighters from driving buzzed.