trauma74

Tallman fire siren causes headaches for neighbors

6 posts in this topic

I like how the women are complaining that they were not notified about the siren when they moved into the development. First of all, isn't the area and what's around the property something you look at when you go look at and/or research a property for sale. Second of all, didn't anyone go outside, see the pole (especially the lady across the street), and go "Hmmm, I wonder what that telephone pole with horns atop it is?" and then ask?" And who's responsibility is it to notify new people moving in of this siren? I also like how the one lady attributes her stroke to the siren. How does a noise cause you to have a brain bleed or a clot make it to your brain. Personally, I think the FD was right in offering to move the siren but having the neighbors pay for the move. I'm sure the FD had permission from whatever municipalities when they put up the siren and whatever other permits and permissions they needed, and now these women have come in and decided to live right next to the siren and complain about it. It's like someone who moves next to an airport and then complains about the noise from the planes.

vodoly, fdalumnus and dwcfireman like this

its loud near an airport ? what a surprise.

lets not forget the people that move into a house or apartment next to a firehouse then want the firehorn shut off, and no sirens when leaving the bay going to a call.

dwcfireman and AFS1970 like this

3 hours ago, fdalumnus said:

its loud near an airport ? what a surprise.

THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!  I don't know how many of these calls I've taken over the years, but it drives the point home!

3 hours ago, fdalumnus said:

lets not forget the people that move into a house or apartment next to a firehouse then want the firehorn shut off, and no sirens when leaving the bay going to a call.

It's the same thing.  "Let me move to this quiet neighborhood with the small fire department nearby."

The point of the siren for a volunteer agency is the redundancy of notifying personnel that an alarm has been charged.  That department has been assigned to an incident in their district or has been summoned as mutual aid to one of their neighboring districts.  Someone needs help, and this in one way to get the volunteers to get up and to the fire house.  It's funny how private citizens just either forget or are ignorant to the way it used to be.  There used to be no text messages, pagers, or electronic devices to wake you up in the middle of the night for a call.  The good old siren did the work for years.  Before that, people had to run down the street screaming "FIRE!" at the top of their lungs!  Yes, technology has done wonders in communicating to us that there is an emergency.  But, the downside to technology is the simple fact that it can fail.  Some hilly districts have dead spots for cell phones and/or pagers.  Some districts cannot afford pagers.  Some districts have almost no cell service.  So, what is the backup?  the good old siren.

I would also like to add that the siren is good indicator to motorists in busy downtown areas to prepare them for the looming fire apparatus response.